Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

pretentious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2017, 11:37 pm

I've been doing market research and trying to better understand people with autism. From people I've spoken to so far, Autism is experienced differently by most people and it's super hard to draw generalizations.
Do those of you with autism view yourself as a point on a spectrum compared to NT's? or do you take offense to a question like that being asked?

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 1:28 am

G'day, fellow Australian!

I see those with ASDs as on a spectrum which also encompasses NTs, but more towards the ND end. As you might see from another thread, some people disagree. If you want to see a debate about this, go to the thread: Is 'NT' offensive? Is 'on the NT spectrum' an option?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 1:52 am

People often tell me that I "don't seem autistic", but if they knew me as a young child, they'd know. Just because I'm autistic doesn't mean I can't adapt, and over my 23 years, I've learned a lot of things.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 1:53 am

That's like asking "how long is a piece of string."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 2:30 am

On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being severe, I'd say I'm a 7.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:50 am

I understand some figurative language, but I learn at a terribly slow pace because I never seem to take anything in. Whilst I only have a formal diagnosis of ASD, I believe I also have an APD, dyslexia, and a form of inattentive ADHD. I cannot draw, write or communicate in a comprehendible fashion, thus I believe my condition is severe. My mind is remarkably blank most of the time, and I can forget things that I have just cast my eyes upon - such as the title of a book - with alarming ease. In many respects, I believe I am intellectually handicapped.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:59 am

I often act more autistic than I am often to the point of being incredibly erratic. My mouth is less regulated than a wall street bank.

Though oddly enough it was quite the opposite only a year and a bit ago.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:01 am

I do not mind the label of Autist or Autistic or Aspie but I DO take offense to being called Mentally Ill, considering that I have invested a hell of a lot more time into research/studying things than the average 100 sheeple combined, plus the fact that my IQ now well-exceeds 140 in addition to my being multi-lingual.

I am high-functioning with what they say is «a 'dash' of autism» according to accepted Asperger-Definitions.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:06 am

how the hell would i know?
autism is different for everyone except for a few core characteristics.

i can not feel emotion. except when something really big happens like if my cat dies.

but even then, i am not sure if it is emotion that i feel.

i feel as if i am authorized to be completely clueless as to how to act in society, and i act as i please, and whether there are raised eyebrows or knowing smiles, i do not care.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:10 am

b9 wrote:

i can not feel emotion. except when something really big happens like if my cat dies.

i feel as if i am authorized to be completely clueless as to how to act in society, and i act as i please, and whether there are raised eyebrows or knowing smiles, i do not care.

Typically people don't feel emotion until spurned on by something. What would you say you should be feeling?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:13 am

Shahunshah wrote:
b9 wrote:

Typically people don't feel emotion until spurned on by something. What would you say you should be feeling?

nothing. i don't feel stuff. it's all just intangible rubbish.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:29 am

as a whole (no!not that) it's like the conformistic-shills run the place
though my inpression is that a lot of acting is required, i never could or understood the use of that
if all's fake and acting, and you must do the same, that doesn't make any sense to me
it's like these obvious blatant bodysignals (i might miss also, that i don't know), i ignore them because they're painfully fake to me

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 5:00 am

How do I quantify my autism?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 5:12 am

EzraS wrote:

I'd put myself right around 3 or 4. Maybe even 2. Definitely not higher than 4, though.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 5:14 am

whatamievendoing wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I'd put myself right around 3 or 4. Maybe even 2. Definitely not higher than 4, though.

How'd you two work this out?

Astralis
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2017, 5:40 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
People often tell me that I "don't seem autistic", but if they knew me as a young child, they'd know. Just because I'm autistic doesn't mean I can't adapt, and over my 23 years, I've learned a lot of things.

When I was 18, I started to suspect I'm an aspie. I told my friends I might be on the spectrum, and they didn't take me seriously. Years went by and a lot of stuff happened in my life, so I didn't think about this issue a lot, until now. My psychologist said that she doesn't think I'm bipolar but an aspie. A friend of mine said "I think it might be" and another friend said "I think you might have ADD and some symptoms of Asperger's." You see, when I'm almost 30 now, nobody can tell me anymore "it's just a phase" or "all teenagers have these issues." :D

My level of autism varies. Lately I've been stimming a lot and spent a lot time reading about my current special interest (autism spectrum). Sometimes I'm more social and less spacey and hyperfocused.