I'm stretching myself too thin.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 11:59 pm

Sorry I'm posting here so often. I'm sure it's getting annoying.

Some of you might have heard about the suicidal kid I accidentally befriended who still talks to me every few days and sends pictures of his wrists after he cuts.

There's also another person on another online community I know who has attempted suicide three times in the last three days and I've stopped talking to him because he's just determined at this point.

In that same online community, there's another suicidal person who's getting help but still feels depressed. And another person who is developing depression and isn't sure how to handle it

Ever since I lost my close friend to suicide, I've felt a sense of responsibility for every suicidal person I meet. It's been very bad for my mental health, but I don't want to cut ties with anyone because then I'd worry about them, and I'd be responsible if anything happened. My grandma suggested just not talking to people on the Internet, but that's not an option because I have genuine friends and the Internet is a major part of what little social life I have. I feel like I've gotten myself into a situation that can't be solved. I feel like it would be cruel to stop caring, but I care about so many people that it's exhausting.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 7:23 am

People who work on suicide hotlines do have specialized training in order to deal with people in that state and still maintain their own emotional integrity. They have professional supports in place, people to debrief them, mentors to give them advice and so on when things get intense. They have training on how to set boundaries - to care of course, but not implode. Same as counselors and therapists.
If your interests run to supporting people at risk of suicide because of your own experiences, perhaps you could undertake such training yourself? To make this a better situation for both them and you?

AusWolf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2017, 11:47 am

C2V wrote:
People who work on suicide hotlines do have specialized training in order to deal with people in that state and still maintain their own emotional integrity. They have professional supports in place, people to debrief them, mentors to give them advice and so on when things get intense. They have training on how to set boundaries - to care of course, but not implode. Same as counselors and therapists.
If your interests run to supporting people at risk of suicide because of your own experiences, perhaps you could undertake such training yourself? To make this a better situation for both them and you?

That... or just stop visiting that online community.

To OP: It is admirable to care about the people you know, but you can limit the new people you get to know by not logging in. Other people's lives are not your responsibility, especially the ones you've never met. You can't save everyone.

DrowningInAir
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2017, 5:20 pm

Most nice people are going to understand if you need a break or can't talk to them too often. Try sending them a message saying you might not reply back for a couple of days because you need to relax and that you'll get back to them soon when you feel better.

I know suicidal people can sometimes latch on to someone who is willing to listen and pour their misery on them. But it's OK to set boundaries and make time for yourself.

And if the person becomes angry or makes you feel guilty for needing time for yourself, then they don't care about you and are abusive, and then it's even more important to set boundaries and consider your needs. You're human, and you deserve to take care of yourself also.