Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 4:06 pm

Really, their name gets abused so much. What's so wrong with female dogs? Why are female dogs so bad?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 6:43 pm

There's nothing wrong with female dogs, it's the women that people really hate. Most people won't call their female dogs the b word even though that's supposed to be what they are.

Or maybe it's because many sayings about dogs are negative in general. The dogs days of summer, which goes back to when the ancients Romans thought Sirius, the Dog Star, was what made it extra hot in the summer. Being in the dog house, cheating dog, and in the Bible there's a saying that goes, "like a dog returns to its vomit, a fool returns to his folly". Gross, eh? :) This was because back in Biblical times dogs were thought to be very unclean animals due to them being scavengers.

Well, better to be a cool cat than a hot dog. I just made that up myself. 8) :cat:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm

NewTime wrote:
Really, their name gets abused so much. What's so wrong with female dogs? Why are female dogs so bad?

They aren't. When my brother was in the market for a dog, which would be his first, he wanted a male dog I guess merely because he was male, but there were no male puppies, so he came home with a female, and he doesn't regret it one bit.

"b***h" is used as a derogatory term for women because dogs are unattractive and the insult is an attempt to imply the woman is unattractive.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 7:53 pm

I always wondered about phrases like "die like a dog" and "treated like a dog".

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2017, 9:42 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with female dogs, it's the women that people really hate. Most people won't call their female dogs the b word even though that's supposed to be what they are.

Or maybe it's because many sayings about dogs are negative in general. The dogs days of summer, which goes back to when the ancients Romans thought Sirius, the Dog Star, was what made it extra hot in the summer. Being in the dog house, cheating dog, and in the Bible there's a saying that goes, "like a dog returns to its vomit, a fool returns to his folly". Gross, eh? :) This was because back in Biblical times dogs were thought to be very unclean animals due to them being scavengers.

Well, better to be a cool cat than a hot dog. I just made that up myself. 8) :cat:

This is on the mark.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 6:10 am

Acquire currency, engage in coitus with female dogs.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 6:40 am

That word is ugly and insulting. I don't even like it to describe female dogs.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 1:20 pm

Many dogs are quite beautiful, depending on the breed. I think huskies, golden retrievers, border collies, and labs are the most physically attractive dogs.

On the other hand, all cats just seem to be naturally good-looking, except maybe those hairless breeds that look like their skin is inside out. 8O

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 7:40 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
I always wondered about phrases like "die like a dog" and "treated like a dog".

In many cultures, dogs are considered dirty and treated poorly. Often times I will see someone from the middle east try to insult an American by calling them a dog, but being Americans generally tend to like dogs, this never works.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 8:57 pm

IstominFan wrote:
That word is ugly and insulting. I don't even like it to describe female dogs.

That's the same way I feel about that word. I think people call aggressive women b****s, because they find them unattractive.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 4:26 am

If you're referring to the "B-word", that's a commonly used word for female dogs - a replacement for "female", if you will.

Now that I think about it, though, it is quite funny how that word generally has such a derogatory meaning, and yet, it's used in a very casual manner when describing female dogs.

Ardentmisanthrope23
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2017, 6:53 am

Just an old word for a female dog. Then used to insult female humans.

But I care. A lot.
(My username is "tongue in cheek" BTW)

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Aug 2017, 9:40 am

Dogs are our best friends - usually make better companions than other humans!

Someone actually coined a word "doggess" to describe female versions of the canine family...which I think is pretty cool!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 10:01 am

Most of the time I use 'b***h' to mean making spiteful comments or being in a difficult situation but I've never related as a gender ( if that's the right word ) thing.
I suppose it just another example of a being in a 'mans mans world' and using a female/gender ( if that's the right word ) related word as a derogatory comment , probably related to sexism in some way.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 10:23 am

It's kind of strange that no one's come up with a different name for female dogs since male chickens are now usually called roosters when they used to be called, well you know. :)

Other cultures don't seem to be aware, however. At the imported international food section at the grocery store I've seen packets of c**k soup mix. Of course it's just like Lipton's chicken noodle soup mix, but it keeps coming with free snickers, and I don't mean the chocolate bar.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Aug 2017, 10:38 am

Will this ever really catch on?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Doggess

I like the similarity to "goddess."

Nothing's sacred these days!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/