Is There Anyone Here Not Bullied In School ?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:14 pm

It seems like the majority of people on the spectrum got bullied in school and school life was a lonely time.

Is there anyone here who was not a constant target for bullies ( I'm sure everyone has been bullied a few times ) and felt school wasn't that bad an experience.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:20 pm

I think I was too boring and invisible at school to attract many bullies.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:26 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I think I was too boring and invisible at school to attract many bullies.

I wonder how common it is to escape bullying at school for someone on the spectrum?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:32 pm

^ idk, I can't remember being bullied by any other students at school.
The teachers bullied me plenty, in high school particularly. :x
I've been bullied far more as an adult.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:34 pm

School, and my childhood in general, was a pretty tough time for me.

It got better when I became an adult.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 8:02 pm

I was bullied a lot during my grade school and middle school years.

Not only was I one of the "weird kids", I was also one of the "fat kids."

Things got better when I began high school given that I was a student at a public alternative school where hardly any bullies were present.

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2017, 10:06 pm

Yeah, I never experienced bullying. Most kids were just indifferent to me and ignored me. Throughout school I pretty much just always had one or two special friends who were always either just like me (shy and/or nerdy, and kind of acted younger or had juvenile interests compared to our peers) OR the opposite of me (super talkative and extroverted but they were obviously also the type of people who just accepted anyone for who they were). And I didn't socialize much with anyone else...and again, they all pretty much ignored me too.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

I didn't speak up enough for people to even get a whiff of my ASD. I basically just shut up, behaved and blended in. So I was left alone.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2017, 10:29 pm

Apparently, according to my family, I was "popular". Mostly with females. I guess because I've never been very masculine? I'm not sure. I guess it's not bullying but I never liked it. They'd always want to touch me and do things that young girls do. You know braiding hair and the like.
In middle school it mostly got worse. It's an odd time with the transmission from child to adolescent but I was mostly already mature. I wished people would ignore me but the wouldn't. They'd always try to include me but I'm sure it wasn't because I was liked. Mostly because of how I looked and how different I was both maturity wise and ideals. If anything I was the biggest bully to myself.
I'm entering highschool in a month probably so I guess we'll see how that goes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 1:39 am

Bullying statistics

Quote:
Only 10 U.S. studies have been conducted on the connection between bullying and developmental disabilities, but all of these studies found that children with disabilities were two to three times more likely to be bullied than their nondisabled peers (Disabilities: Insights from across fields and around the world; Marshall, Kendall, Banks & Gover, 2009).

Researchers discovered that students with disabilities were more worried about school safety and being injured or harassed by other peers compared to students without a disability (Saylor & Leach, 2009).

The National Autistic Society reports that 40 percent of children with autism and 60 percent of children with Asperger’s syndrome have experienced bullying (“Bullying: A Guide for Parents”).

When reporting bullying youth in special education were told not to tattle almost twice as often as youth not in special education (Davis & Nixon, 2010).

Students with disabilities or special education needs are twice as likely to be identified as bullied targets and as bullies when compared to peers without disabilities (Rose, Monda-Amaya, & Espelage, 2011).

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 1:53 am

I was relentlessly bullied in every school I've ever be at as well as every workplace I've ever worked in. It feels like I've been bullied in almost every situation and that has happened even in my family life. At 6'1" and 225 lbs and with an IQ recently tested at 160 I'm just a walking bull's-eye and threat at the same time.
Nerdy AND athletic?!? Look out world.

I've had women describe me as being extraordinairily gentle and nonthreatening and I think that's what makes me such a threat to guys especially. But if a girl pursued me, my social aversion and distaste for intimacy made them feel like I was rejecting them and they became hateful and resentful.

I was simply terrified of them figuring out my Aspie secret even though I didn't even know about it at the time but I could never explain that to them. I never got the chance. I always knew there was something very different about me but I could never put my finger on it only until recently. But for some reason I always felt the need to hide much of my personality for fear of accidental Aspie secret exposure.

Those factors are the reason my therapist describes my current anxietal situation as "inconceivable."

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Mimikyu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2017, 2:00 am

I was picked on a little in school but I wouldn't say it was severe. It seemed to stop by the time I got to high school probably because I pretty much just stopped talking to other students.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:04 am

Even though I've always been in private education for autistics, I have experienced getting picked on a few times and one time got clobbered with a rock.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:08 am

I was one of those kids that was ignored rather than bullied. I don't know why, I think I must have been a prime bullying target... when all the kids were playing something or other I was standing at the side on my own.
I really hated school... I hated every single second of it. I hated having to spend my time with kids and I hated being a kid.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 7:00 am

I was clobbered with a big rock when I was seven. By another kid with emotional problems.

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2017, 7:19 am

I was both a bully and bullied in school.