Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:16 am

https://mic.com/articles/188018/13-russ ... .9igNU04ii

:popcorn:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:57 am

This says 13 russian nationals and 3 russian companies. I thought the russian government under orders from putin was supposed to be responsible.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:05 am

In a few years, the Republicans are probably going to embrace the Russiagate stuff.

After all, the Trump presidency will end in disaster. Does anyone want to blame the American masses for this?

I, personally, try to avoid blaming the American masses whenever I can. I don't want to believe that millions of people voted for a sexist, racist manchild.

Fortunately, I know that American "democracy" is a joke. This explains why a country full of such charming people is constantly ruled by despicable monsters.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:10 am

they'll probably be high-fived back home

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:44 am

EzraS wrote:
This says 13 russian nationals and 3 russian companies. I thought the russian government under orders from putin was supposed to be responsible.

Oh, please.. even the USA uses private contractors to do it's dirty work. It's highly unlikely these people & companies were not following orders from the Russian government or Putin himself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 3:44 am

From the article

Quote:
Trump also called for American unity in the wake of the news.

“We cannot allow those seeking to sow confusion, discord and rancor to be successful,” Trump said in a statement. “It’s time we stop the outlandish partisan attacks, wild and false allegations, and far-fetched theories, which only serve to further the agendas of bad actors, like Russia”

Mr President, I assume there are a lot of mirrors in the White House. Look in them.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 3:56 am

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Oh, please.. even the USA uses private contractors to do it's dirty work. It's highly unlikely these people & companies were not following orders from the Russian government or Putin himself.

That's interesting. What private contractors has the US used to do it's dirty work?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 4:07 am

EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That's interesting. What private contractors has the US used to do it's dirty work?

Blackwater. Halliburton. etc.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 5:31 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Blackwater. Halliburton. etc.

The CIA has a long history of using oil companies as fronts, as few, if any countries turn away oil drilling.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 7:56 pm

It's not clear to me what crime has been committed.

1. They setup a VPN (virtual private network) in the US to hide that their activities originated in Russia.
2. They made pretend social media accounts.
3. They used fake identities to buy social media ads.
4. The ads contained "trolling" propaganda political posts to influence voters.

This seems like normal operations in the political arena.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:32 pm

"normal" does not equal ethical.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
"normal" does not equal ethical.

Let alone legal.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:39 pm

@lovenothate:

Spasibo, Gaspazha. (I've lost the spelling in Cyrillic after 40 years, but I still remember the pronunciation.)

I just did a quick check through some legal databases, but the best vernacular summary I found is this one from Politifact: http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... a-trump-c/

They cite at least four laws that would prohibit these activities.

I was surprised that they did not include RICO in that list, since there's definitely a US beachhead for these activities, to which RICO could easily be applied. (Info on RICO from NOLO: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... o-act.html ). (Edit in: then again, they've only just begun. I await the invocation of RICO with great anticipation.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
@lovenothate:

Spasibo, Gaspazha. (I've lost the spelling in Cyrillic after 40 years, but I still remember the pronunciation.)

I just did a quick check through some legal databases, but the best vernacular summary I found is this one from Politifact: http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... a-trump-c/

They cite at least four laws that would prohibit these activities.

I was surprised that they did not include RICO in that list, since there's definitely a US beachhead for these activities, to which RICO could easily be applied. (Info on RICO from NOLO: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... o-act.html ). (Edit in: then again, they've only just begun. I await the invocation of RICO with great anticipation.)

Thanks.

Only one is applicable, as the other three are about "public employee collusion".

Politifact cites the "Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act"/McCain Feingold Act.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipartisa ... Reform_Act

"(Sec. 303) Amends FECA to revise the ban on campaign contributions from foreign nationals to include donations, expenditures, independent expenditures, disbursements for an electioneering communication, as well as contributions or donations to any political party committee".
https://www.thoughtco.com/how-mccain-fe ... ed-3367920

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:24 pm

Absolute farcical garbage. The 13 have no connections to Putin or the Trump campaign.
Some of the accusations is that they were promoting facts and sourcing sites like the Washington Post haha. You couldn't make this stuff up. Also, if Trump is a Russian puppet, he is a terrible one as US backed fighters have killed scores of Russians in Syria.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:24 pm

Reality check.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"