Page 4 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 1:29 am

James Tilly Matthews was the first person to describe (and have recorded) gangstalking delusions.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 5:29 pm

Caught the end of one of the chapters of Ken Burns "Baseball" documentary.

I learned that Hammering Hank Aaron got his start in the Negro leagues.

Found that fact mind blowing because ...it would be like learning that Jimmy Page, or Jimmy Hendrix, had gotten their start by playing in Benny Goodman's orchestra in the Big Band Forties...making the guy a whole generation older than I assumed he was. Hank Aaron achieved his fame by exceeding Babe Ruth's record number of home runs in 1974. And the Negro Leagues basically ceased to exist back in 1947 when Jackie Robinson joined the Brooklyn Dodgers and integrated pro baseball's major leagues. I think of Aaron as my generation, and I think of the era of the Negro Leagues as being my parents and grand parents generations.

Did some googling and learned that its not QUITE as mind blowing as that.

The teen newly pro Hank Aaron was only a member of a Negro League team for three months before he was snapped up by the Brooklyn Dodgers. AND those three months were in 1951, long after the hey dey of the Negro League ended in 1947. And the name of the Negro League team was "the Cincinnati Clowns". That was a thing back then. When the Negro League abruptly ended, for the happy reason that the major leagues suddenly became integrated in 1947, a few of its teams lingered on after 1947 as novelty acts...combining sports with comedy...like the Harlem Globe Trotters. Before even those teams finally gave up the ghost. And that was the kinda post 1947 team that the Cincinnati Clowns were.

But still ...its icing on the cake of Aaron's career that he was also the last surviving active player of the Negro Leagues in Pro Baseball ...on top of his homerun record.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 8:18 pm

Today I learned that it's better to let a party thread run its course than it is to post a bunch of music videos.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 5:51 pm

"Boofing" means to give oneself an alcohol or street drug enema, which is not only gross but extremely dangerous. 8-O

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 5:59 pm

While I was debating whether an iPad or a digital copy of my favourite movie would bring me more joy it dawned on me that a movie that ties in with my interests is more important than another piece of technology right now. Germany is more important than an iPad right now.

The $17 that I spent will come back to me when I least expect it and I can get the cheap iPad than.

The cheaper iPads with reasonable storage are $270 to $300.

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 27 Dec 2023, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 6:03 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
"Boofing" means to give oneself an alcohol or street drug enema, which is not only gross but extremely dangerous. 8-O

Didnt know that until just now either.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 6:10 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

You learn something new every day. I think I'm having supper at 7 instead of 6.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 4:33 pm

archive.org has loads of music to download.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 8:46 pm

I've found out that John Banner's birthplace is now part of Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bann ... an%20actor.

Banner was born 28 January 1910[2] to Jewish parents in Stanislau, Austria-Hungary (now Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine). He studied for a law degree at the University of Vienna, but decided instead to become an actor.

I've been with Ukraine all along without even knowing it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 9:00 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've found out that John Banner's birthplace is now part of Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bann ... an%20actor.

Banner was born 28 January 1910[2] to Jewish parents in Stanislau, Austria-Hungary (now Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine). He studied for a law degree at the University of Vienna, but decided instead to become an actor.

I've been with Ukraine all along without even knowing it.

Interesting. :nerdy:

It's nuts to look at maps of that part of the world from that period. In 1910, Poland didn't exist at all and all of it, and parts of Ukraine were under Austro-Hungarian rule.

In 1918 that city became Ukrainian, only to end up as part of Poland until it ended up Ukrainian again when little mustache and big mustache divided up Poland. When little mustache attacked big mustache, it was part of the District of Galicia, only to end up Ukrainian again when big mustache won and Poland moved west.

Eastern European history gets confusing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 4:05 pm

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/masai ... 11-donate/

Quote:
The cattle - regarded as sacred by the Masai - were handed over to William Brancick, deputy head of the US embassy in Kenya in a remote village near the border with Tanzania.

The ceremony was marked by tribespeople in traditional red robes and jewellery, some of whom carried banners saying "To the people of America, we give these cows to help you".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 10:10 pm

The two people most influential to the development and ubiquity of the electric guitar (Leo Fender and Ted McCarty), neither of them played.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 11:16 pm

People don't care about my past, my problems or my feelings.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 1:37 am

The Worlds of Wonder company that created Teddy Ruxpin also created an interactive talking toy of Snoopy, which was really novel since Snoopy doesn't talk in the animated cartoons. He sounded a lot like Leonardo from the 80's Ninja Turtles because he had the same voice actor. I found it kind of weird. They were planning to also make a talking Charlie Brown, but the company went bankrupt.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2024, 3:03 am

that I have Covid. Glad I signed up for the last round of free home tests. This explains the brainless-ness. Fooook.

(Also, I have the talking Snoopy & chirping Woodstock. I loved it as a kid.)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 3:13 am

Learned that. when walking outside in -2 degree temps.. you do not freeze instantly, like a cartoon character.....
but it does take longer to warm up , if you try to spend more than a minute or two...... :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are