Movies you hate that everyone else loved

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 11:14 am

I can think of a film that I loved, and a friend of my did not care for. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
I thought of this because of the comments about not wanting to offend anyone. This was a film that seemed very personal to me at the time, and my friend thought it was very contrived. He could not relate to it in the same way I did. I did not handle that very well, and am embarrassed how I reacted. I've apologized to him several times since. By the way, he is on the spectrum. I did not know I was. I just knew I was "off" or "different." Once I understood, that's when I felt guilt about my reaction. I don't get offended any more.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 11:32 am

"The Bridge on the River Kwai" struck me as over rated.

Too many problems with both external and internal logic.

The British commander was coming perilously close to collaboration with the enemy.

And the Japanese didnt need western help to build bridges. They had been building railroad bridges and tunnels for decades in the home islands of Japan before they went on their aggression spree. And even in a fictional world with a fictional world war going on...lets say the Middle Earth of Tolkien...with an evil empire of Orcs and Hobgoblins out to conquer the world (like the Axis really were in WWII)you cant show that that evil empire ...cant even build bridges for itself! The orcs and hobgoblins wouldnt have been credible as world threatening villians...if they couldnt even build bridges! Wouldnt have worked in a fantasy story. So how can it work in a non fantasy story?

While channel surfing I caught the beginning of Frozen. Tried to watch it from the start, but it didnt hold me. But I put it down to being "a kid's movie". So I dont have hostility to the movie.

angelsonthemoon
Raven
Raven

14 May 2024, 11:47 am

pcgoblin wrote:
I can think of a film that I loved, and a friend of my did not care for. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
I thought of this because of the comments about not wanting to offend anyone. This was a film that seemed very personal to me at the time, and my friend thought it was very contrived. He could not relate to it in the same way I did. I did not handle that very well, and am embarrassed how I reacted. I've apologized to him several times since. By the way, he is on the spectrum. I did not know I was. I just knew I was "off" or "different." Once I understood, that's when I felt guilt about my reaction. I don't get offended any more.
I love that movie too. Maybe he wasn't as into science fiction or robots, but it was definitely relatable for me.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 6:06 pm

angelsonthemoon wrote:
pcgoblin wrote:
I love that movie too. Maybe he wasn't as into science fiction or robots, but it was definitely relatable for me.

He literally could not identify with the emotion in the film. He felt it was trying to manipulate him.

We use to talk about Star Trek characters. He identified with Spock. I identified with Data.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2024, 6:28 pm

+Rocky Horror Picture Show
+Pulp Fiction
+Avatar
+All the Lord of the Rings modern movies & relatives
+All the Kill Bill stuff
+The older (non-next gen or newer) Star Trek movies
+The older Star Wars movies
+Most things horror genre
+Most things that are of the middle-school-humor level

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 10:44 pm

I thought The Blair Witch Project was really overhyped as well. I didn't find it the least bit scary. When we were walking out of the theater a guy behind me summed it up perfectly, he said "That was just 3 kids running around in the woods cussing."

ElmersTrueLove
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2024, 8:55 am

Wizards 1977

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

LittleBeach
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2024, 1:06 pm

Poor things
No time to die
Forrest Gump
Any Avengers film
Fight club
The Godfather
Dead Poets Society

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 1:26 pm

1. Rain Man because I think the story is not only depressing but infuriating
2. Frozen- I think that film is overrated
3. The Toy Story movies - They are boring

I don't many Marvel movies, but Spiderman and Guardians are my fave. I also love Forrest Gump because he's not the the stereotype autistic genius. I also appreciate that they show how direct he is in addition to his photographic memory.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 1:26 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
I thought The Blair Witch Project was really overhyped as well. I didn't find it the least bit scary. When we were walking out of the theater a guy behind me summed it up perfectly, he said "That was just 3 kids running around in the woods cussing."

That movie is boring and stupid.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 2:23 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:

That movie is boring and stupid.

*takes deep breath and counts to ten*

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 7:58 pm

Rain Man really overdid it with the savant skills. A true savant would have one special skill, not half a dozen like Dustin Hoffman did.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 5:55 pm

Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
Kill Bill
Kill Bill Part 2
The Hateful 8
Interstellar
The Social Network
Captain Marvel

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:42 am

Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

As one with a BA in history, I really hated glaring inaccuracies, such as how the GERMAN ARMY is able to operate out in the open in Egypt... which had been part of the British Empire! That would have jump started WWII!
And then there's the matter of Indiana Jones plundering the Mesoamerican pyramid at the beginning, grabbing that idol without taking into mind the context of who had made the idol - and when - just so he can display it in a museum! There were in fact early archaeologists who had just grabbed artifacts like that, without even trying to understand the who, when, or why. Those artifacts are now just stored away, completely useless to the discipline of archaeology today. And having Indiana Jones committing such a travesty PI$$ES ME OFF!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 4:10 pm

The Saw franchise.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 4:22 pm

Star Wars, all of them.

I used to like this franchise but I've slowly grown to hate it. Bad writing, bad acting, boring, clichéd story during it's best moments and those are brief.

Jurassic Park,

Weak adaption of an average novel written by a guy who's made a career off of trying to convince others to fear science.

Superhero movies, all of them.

If costumed vigilantes existed I'd have no problem with them getting shot on sight, open season.