Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 2:47 am

Yup, same here when I clicked the topic reply notification to try to get here. Ain't been fixed yet.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 May 2024, 7:18 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
^ For me it works to hit refresh button.

That's probably easier than the "back button and retry" method for most operations. One exception may be when submitting a long post. If I refresh the page then, the browser says it can't do it unless it re-sends the data, which makes me think it might eat the post. Probably PTSD from the "Cloudflare ate my post" days, haven't experimented further. Always wise to copy post to clipboard before sending, though it's a couple more extra steps.
For a simple viewing activity like opening a post or looking at a forum, a retry is harmless enough - but when making a post, if the error appears on "Submit", then a browser "back" action (away from the error message to your post edit screen) followed by "Submit" should be Ok to retain both your post's content and avoid questions about resending data. Repeat until it eventually works. :roll:

Alex has responded to my report - it seems the problem may be caused by a tweak to a timeout setting at the hosting provider, a tweak they'd made.
But as yet, no actual fix.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 8:00 am

Cornflake wrote:
For a simple viewing activity like opening a post or looking at a forum, a retry is harmless enough - but when making a post, if the error appears on "Submit", then a browser "back" action (away from the error message to your post edit screen) followed by "Submit" should be Ok to retain both your post's content and avoid questions about resending data. Repeat until it eventually works. :roll:

I would suggest copying and pasting one's post into a separate text file, as a backup, before clicking "Submit."

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 May 2024, 8:43 am

Yep - I always do, for the more lengthy ones, and not just on WP.

Edit: actually, selecting all the text and copying it to the clipboard is sufficient in most cases and is easily done with Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C
In the event of the text vanishing it can be restored with Ctrl-V to paste into the post.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 May 2024, 9:15 am

Cornflake wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
BillyTree wrote:

That's probably easier than the "back button and retry" method for most operations. One exception may be when submitting a long post. If I refresh the page then, the browser says it can't do it unless it re-sends the data, which makes me think it might eat the post. Probably PTSD from the "Cloudflare ate my post" days, haven't experimented further. Always wise to copy post to clipboard before sending, though it's a couple more extra steps.

Alex has responded to my report - it seems the problem may be caused by a tweak to a timeout setting at the hosting provider, a tweak they'd made.
But as yet, no actual fix.
That approach sometimes causes me to get a double post so I have to delete the second one. Also if the glitch happens to me again after backing I may not be able to back a second time. It's safer to select all & copy the post before submitting a second time & after the second error I paste in a text file & then do something unrelated to WP & try again later or another day.

Glad to have an idea of what's going on. The hosting provider should prioritize a fix if other sites start reporting problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 10:18 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

I would suggest copying and pasting one's post into a separate text file, as a backup, before clicking "Submit."

That should be fairly bulletproof. I'm too lazy / RSI averse to actually save it to the HD, but my browser has hardly ever crashed and (so far) this current problem isn't a browser-crashing thing.

I really thought WP was down when I arrived today. Must have refreshed at least 6 times and nothing. Even the front page wouldn't open. Different error message there. But in the end I got here. Moral: don't worry.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 1:02 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
BillyTree wrote:

I just tried hitting that "re-send data" button and it didn't eat my post. But I wouldn't do it without copying post first, just in case.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 2:28 pm

Quote:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

I'm sure it is being worked on.

I found this. Just trying to help. Although, I understand it could be something more exotic. Perhaps a change was made and SQL connections are running rampant? Or something new is causing more connections than normal?
How to fix: mysql_connect(): Too many connections

I hit the refresh button as well, until the page loads.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 6:16 pm

My buddy ChatGPT says:

The error message "SQL ERROR [ mysqli ] Too many connections [1040]" indicates that the MySQL server has reached its maximum number of allowed connections. This issue can occur when too many clients are trying to connect to the MySQL server simultaneously, exceeding the limit set in the server's configuration.

Here are the steps to troubleshoot and fix this issue:

1. Check the Current Connection Limit:
- Connect to your MySQL server and run the following command to check the maximum allowed connections:

Code:
sql
     SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'max_connections';

- This will display the current limit on the number of connections.

2. Increase the Maximum Connections Limit:
- If the current limit is too low, you can increase it. Edit the MySQL configuration file (`my.cnf` or `my.ini`, depending on your operating system). Find the `max_connections` setting and increase its value. For example:
Code:
ini
     [mysqld]
     max_connections = 200

- After making the change, restart the MySQL server to apply the new configuration.

3. Identify Long-Running Queries:
- Long-running queries can hold connections open for extended periods, contributing to the issue. Use the following command to identify any problematic queries:
Code:
sql
     SHOW PROCESSLIST;

- This will list all active connections and their states. Investigate and optimize any queries that are running for an unusually long time.

4. Optimize Connection Usage in Your Application:
- Ensure your application is properly closing database connections when they are no longer needed. Using a connection pool can help manage connections more efficiently.
- Review the code in your phpBB forum software or any other applications connecting to the MySQL server to ensure connections are being properly managed and closed.

5. Monitor Connection Usage:
- Set up monitoring to track the number of connections over time. Tools like MySQL Enterprise Monitor, phpMyAdmin, or third-party monitoring solutions can help you identify patterns and potential issues with connection usage.

6. Consider Hardware and Configuration Upgrades:
- If your server consistently reaches the connection limit despite optimization, it might be necessary to upgrade the server hardware or consider a more scalable database architecture, such as a database cluster.

By following these steps, you can address the "Too many connections [1040]" error and improve the reliability and performance of your MySQL server.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 12:15 am

I am taking a break from WP for a while until this is cleared up.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 12:21 am

Well, them SQuirreLs is still nutting around with my connection, even skipping characters when I type too fast.

By the way, I knew it was them SQuirreLs all along.  First the servers, then the power lines (or is it the other way around?).

Read the Complete and Unedited Article  HERE .

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 1:16 am

I’m getting it too, how long will it last? I really need WP online 24/7

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 May 2024, 4:07 am

^ WP remains online 24/7 - just with some irritating extra hoops to jump through.
It is possible, with care, to handle them - see earlier: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=420742&p=9507052#p9506663

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 8:47 am

It is happening here too.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 May 2024, 8:50 am

The errors will be generated for every WP user.

ElmersTrueLove
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2024, 10:36 am

Hasn't been fixed. Had to reload 7 times at one point.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+