Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 7:34 pm

Donald Trump along with MTG; and then Guilianni alone are presently running an ad on TV against Bob Good who serves in the House from Virginia; who is a Republican. It also showed Good (off the record) saying that if he knew of Trump's extreme policies he would not have voted for him. They also accuse Good of being a RINO (Republican In Name Only) and not supporting the MAGA agenda. Do Trump's advisors think an ad such as this will be beneficial to him? What do you think?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 8:04 pm

I suppose it depends how many die-hard Trump supporters there are in the state concerned.

Personally I'm all in favour of Republicans attacking each other in public. The more division there is in their party, the better.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 8:16 pm

I guess people on this site can tell I am a progressive but I find it amusing that Trump and his allies are accusing Good of being a sane person.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 8:23 pm

I can only chuckle at someone trying to smear a guy named Bob Good. "Good sucks! Good hates America! Don't vote Good! Trump: the anti-Good candidate!"

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 2:03 am

Trump has a unique strategy. Instead of reaching out to be inclusive...to attract more voters, he is exclusive. If you dont follow the party line then "we dont want you". It would seem to be self-defeating - to deliberately drive potential voters away. But in theory it would stoke up the exclusive few who are your base of true believers.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 02 May 2024, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 2:17 am

I agree; if you aren't MAGA or support MAGA's agenda the Trumpians don't want to have anything to do with you.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 12:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Trump has a unique strategy. Instead of reaching out to be inclusive...to attract more voters, he is exclusive. If you dont follow the party line then "we dont want you". It would seem to be self-defeating - to deliberately drive potential voters away. But in theory it would stoke up the exclusive few who are your base of true believers.

I'm sure you're right. It's something of a mystery to me why he's still popular enough to attempt a comeback, given his strategy. But then, a lot of righties hold their noses when they vote for him, presumably because for them, anything is better than the Democrats. It used to be said in the UK that the working class would vote for a pig if it had a red (Labour) rosette. I don't think people generally vote for the candidate they like. They vote against the one they hate the most.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 10:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:

We are in a purity test era. Trump is a major factor in poisoning our politics in this way but not the only factor.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2024, 5:01 pm

It might not be a bad move for Trump. At the moment you have extreme ends and a lot of fuzzy people in the middle. I'm sure that a lot of moderate Republicans will vote for Trump because they've always voted Republican. But I think Trump knows that this situation is changing. As the election cycle and the legal cycle progresses, the country will be exposed more to the real him. And he stands to lose a lot of moderates.

I think he's going to try to herd those moderates away from the center. He's going to try to turn them into hardliners and get them to decide for HIM, which will make it harder for them to break away once he's exposed for who and what he is.

So this anti-Good business is just an easy ball to get some to inch closer to him. It's not as big an ask as asking them to vote for a convicted felon as president. But that task will get easier the closer he can draw them in before hand.