Why is it considered uncultured to be proudly American?

Page 2 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 2:41 am

Because a certain people value detachment, irony and cynicism and patriotism is the opposite of that.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 4:13 am

All I have to say is that those who CLAIM to LOVE America are HYPOCRITES if they tell you to get out of the country for speaking anything truthful. I say to them that if THEY are the ones who HATE the FREEDOMS to be able to speak TRUTH so much then THEY need to get out of the country for being a bunch of COMMUNIST/FASCIST PIGS!! ! The U.S. is the WORLD's Prison-Capital! Its politicians and police are LAWLESS.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:22 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
If you love America, you love your homeland and country. To me that is very sweet and full of patriotism.
America has religious freedom and it is a very wonderful country (albeit ,far from perfect), it is the freest of countries.

Some liberals view this as being uncultured. If you have a love of American cuisine , for example- BBQ,
cheeseburgers, apple pie- you are a hick. But if you enjoy 3rd world cuisine made from countries where people actually
defecate in the streets- somehow that makes you a sophisticate. I don't understand the mentality there.

I think people that generalise about 3rd world cuisine as 'made from countries where people dedicate in the streets' may be seen as uncultured.

I find the whole nationalism/national pride/jingoism thing interesting though.

Visited Long Island near NYC for work 5 years ago. Couldn't believe the amount of people that actually have American flags in their front garden. Never seen anywhere like it. But that's cool, it the culture there and I love seeing and learning about different cultures.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2017, 11:48 am

Personally I find nationalism to be silly as I had nothing to do with where I happened to be born. However, liking the country one is from for objective reasons is ok. I find that in the US however, the pride and nationalism is way over the top. The US doesn't really have anything 200+ other countries don't have. Is American culture better than a different culture? No, it's just that is what you are used to. People from other countries find American culture weird because they are used to doing things a different way. It's this perceived superiority that fuels a lot of the hatred of America around the world.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:08 pm

Because 'Murrican's, for the most part, are arrogant, greedy, closed-minded, slovenly sons of b!tches.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:42 pm

Well gee, putting down other countries based on stereotypes, I can't begin to fathom why people think you're uncultured :roll:

In all seriousness I'm from a very liberal state and I've NEVER heard someone say BBQ or apple pie are hick foods. What the hell are you even talking about?

Patriotism is often (quite fairly imo) criticized because this country is known to breed people who engage in blind patriotism. Won't listen to any actual legitimate criticism because "this is the best country in the world." Which by the way, is why the government and politicians actively encourage it lol.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Last edited by lidsmichelle on 22 Mar 2017, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:48 pm

lidsmichelle wrote:
Well gee, putting down other countries based on stereotypes, I can't begin to fathom why people think you're uncultured lmao.

In all seriousness I'm from a very liberal state and I've NEVER heard someone say BBQ or apple pie are hick foods. What the hell are you even talking about?

Patriotism is often (quite fairly imo) criticized because this country is known to breed people who engage in blind patriotism. Won't listen to any actual legitimate criticism because "this is the best country in the world." Which by the way, is why the government and politicians actively encourage it lol.
I think I sometimes hear people talking like that. Many High income people I have met eat at posh whilst regard things like McDonalds as being somewhat lowly. It seems weird.

Hey Lid coming from Washington how do people see Americans living in rural areas say Kentucky, Mississippi or Arkansas?

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:52 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
lidsmichelle wrote:
Well gee, putting down other countries based on stereotypes, I can't begin to fathom why people think you're uncultured lmao.

I think I sometimes hear people talking like that. Many High income people I have met eat at posh whilst regard things like McDonalds as being somewhat lowly. It seems weird.

Hey Lid coming from Washington how do people see Americans living in rural areas say Kentucky, Mississippi or Arkansas?

Well I'm from a mildly conservative area so it's hard to say lmao. I've honestly never heard people discuss those areas except in a concept of income and quality of living issues. Washington is very Washington centric. Generally we just b***h about Californians. Sometimes about Idaho and Oregon too.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

lidsmichelle wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
lidsmichelle wrote:

Well I'm from a mildly conservative area so it's hard to say lmao. I've honestly never heard people discuss those areas except in a concept of income and quality of living issues.
Seems interesting. So many on the right like the paint the left as being snobbish and looking down on these people as rednecks. But all that I have seen shows its kind of not the case. Many people I know who see Trump as racist want to also reach out to these poorer areas.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:58 pm

Honestly the PNW is kind of in its own little bubble. The west coast in general is.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 4:01 pm

lidsmichelle wrote:
Honestly the PNW is kind of in its own little bubble. The west coast in general is.
That could be the case. It depends what circle you move in. Could I ask have you witnessed any of that?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:05 pm

NotThatClever13 wrote:
It's this perceived superiority that fuels a lot of the hatred of America around the world.

Let them hate on this. :twisted:

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2017, 10:10 am

Raptor wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
It's this perceived superiority that fuels a lot of the hatred of America around the world.

This is exactly the point I am getting at. What do you plan to do with that aircraft? What exactly does it prove?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 10:53 am

NotThatClever13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:

This is exactly the point I am getting at. What do you plan to do with that aircraft? What exactly does it prove?

Skippy, like most rednecks, would use this aircraft to bomb the living p!ss out of anyone and anything that p!sses him off in even the slightest matter. To him, might makes right, no matter what!

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2017, 11:16 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Skippy, like most rednecks, would use this aircraft to bomb the living p!ss out of anyone and anything that p!sses him off in even the slightest matter. To him, might makes right, no matter what!

I suppose, but that would be a huge lack of forethought on their part.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 11:22 am

NotThatClever13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:

Proves 'Murica is tuffer'n all them forin countries.
Murica, f*k yeah!
:-D