12 Jun 2017, 7:07 pm

"Dark" side - you mean there's a bright side to it? 8O

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2017, 8:47 pm

Lintar wrote:
"Dark" side - you mean there's a bright side to it? 8O

On the bright side, you do get to play with rattlesnakes.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 9:23 pm

If someone started a thread called Islam's Dark Side, it would most likely be removed.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 10:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
If someone started a thread called Islam's Dark Side, it would most likely be removed.

Islam is a broader category. This thread has already fallen into snark, though, and that should not stand. If people want to discuss the particular issues with the behavior of some specific sect, that seems more fair game.

You could, for example, start a thread about Salafism. Their specific ideology promotes the problems which ignorant people attribute to Islam in general. Kind of like saying all Christians drink strychnine in their worship. Or all Pentecostals for that matter.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 11:48 pm

Regarding the article specifically, it contained a critique which applies to any group whose leader demands the followers ignore obvious inconsistencies or serous infractions.

The Mississippi Miracle was pretty amazing. I'd never heard of it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 7:18 am

http://www.newsweek.com/twenty-pentecos ... car-192802

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 7:29 am

Attack Christians, hahaha

Say anything negative about Muslims, booo hateful shocking racist islamophobic!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 4:31 pm

Look through any thread about Islam, and you'll see people say Islam is evil, we shouldn't trust any Muslims, their philosophy is violent and depraved, or all of the above. People go beyond that, and their posts get deleted. I would assume that some of those posts led to warnings from moderators about making personal attacks against a class.

Would you care to discuss Pentacostalism?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 8:43 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Would you care to discuss Pentacostalism?

Perhaps, if someone starts a thread that's intended to be an actual discussion of Pentecostalism. This just appears to be a hit piece.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2017, 8:52 pm

EzraS wrote:
Perhaps, if someone starts a thread that's intended to be an actual discussion of Pentecostalism. This just appears to be a hit piece.

"Pentecostalists are the nut jobs of Christianity." Does a counter-argument actually exist? Other than "Oh, yeah? Well, I'm going to Heaven, and you're going to Hell!"

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 9:10 pm

StinkyDog wrote:
EzraS wrote:

"Pentecostalists are the nut jobs of Christianity." Does a counter-argument actually exist? Other than "Oh, yeah? Well, I'm going to Heaven, and you're going to Hell!"

A mature intelligent theological discussion would take mainstream Pentecostalism, such as the Assemblies of God into account first, before discussing rouge fringe elements. Regarding intelligent theological discussions of Pentecostalism, the only real matter of contention between Pentecostalism and other mainstream Christian denominations such as Southern Baptist, is Pentecostalism's doctrine regarding Baptism of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues along with their interpretation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

But it appears your only interest in the subject lies in lampooning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 9:25 pm

If one is a linguist, one could study the "languages" that people speak when they "speak in tongues."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 9:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If one is a linguist, one could study the "languages" that people speak when they "speak in tongues."

I have heard varying accounts of this. But I have also heard that it's supposed to be a "spirit language".