Can't stand it when people seem as though they know better

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 12:36 pm

When I saw a similar question being asked on Quora "Is it normal for a person to not like attending music concerts?" Someone said in response "I don't know if it's normal but I do know two people in particular that won't go. One suffers from anxiety and cannot stand to be in a crowd of people or not have total control over everything going on around them. The other is just a curmudgeon who won't get up off the couch for almost anything. This is rather hard for me to relate to since I've been to almost 300 concerts in my lifetime. I feel sad for them because they likely don't know what they've been missing.

So get out there and go."

It makes it seem like those who boast they have lots of concerts come across like they know more than others who maybe also like music but have anxiety that prevents them from seeing a live experience and it also comes across as though having anxiety makes you "lesser" than someone who isn't anxious and seem like they have a lot of self confidence and have fun, content and fulfilling life than someone else who is struggling.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 12:48 pm

The proper term for people like that is "as*hole"

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 1:46 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Someone said in response ... I feel sad for them because they likely don't know what they've been missing.
It makes it seem like those who boast they have lots of concerts come across like they know more than others who maybe also

Even though I don't know the person and their specifics, I'm going to say the thing fits documented and remarked upon extrovert behavior, which can be summarized as, Anyone not an extrovert is defective and needs to be fixed/cured/repaired by being made in to an extrovert.

And that brings to mind;

5 Things We’d Say To Extroverts If We Treated Them Like Introverts
By
Lora Korpar -
Jul 1, 2021
https://www.readunwritten.com/2021/07/0 ... ntroverts/

You Can’t ‘Fix’ Introverts Because We’re Not Broken
ByMatthew D’Ambrosio
May 30, 2018
https://introvertdear.com/news/cant-fix ... ot-broken/

Stop Telling Introverts to Act Like Extroverts
by Evy Kuijpers, Joeri Hofmans, and Bart Wille
October 17, 2022
https://hbr.org/2022/10/stop-telling-in ... extroverts

The Coming Conflict Between Introverts and Extroverts

When the social floodgates open, not everyone will want to use their newfound freedom in the same way.
By Julie Beck, Amanda Mull, and Katherine J. Wu
April 27, 2021
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... ic/618726/

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 2:49 pm

chris1989 wrote:
When I saw a similar question being asked on Quora "Is it normal for a person to not like attending music concerts?" Someone said in response "I don't know if it's normal but I do know two people in particular that won't go. One suffers from anxiety and cannot stand to be in a crowd of people or not have total control over everything going on around them. The other is just a curmudgeon who won't get up off the couch for almost anything. This is rather hard for me to relate to since I've been to almost 300 concerts in my lifetime. I feel sad for them because they likely don't know what they've been missing.

It makes it seem like those who boast they have lots of concerts come across like they know more than others who maybe also like music but have anxiety that prevents them from seeing a live experience and it also comes across as though having anxiety makes you "lesser" than someone who isn't anxious and seem like they have a lot of self confidence and have fun, content and fulfilling life than someone else who is struggling.

The person knows two people.
That would bother me too, but I would also feel sorry for them because they cannot emphasis with the reasons, such as crowd anxiety and environmental overstimulation. It's not far from them saying "I just don't understand why Christopher Reeves just didn't will himself to walk." That's an extreme, but I think it is similar. They are missing something important. They think they understand. They know the words. They understand the words. However, that is not the same as understanding the experience others have. Knowing the words is not enlightenment. Politics is full of people that know the words.

I am fascinated by people who KNOW things, but they don't understand what they don't know or that they don't know and understand all facets of experience and existence. I am more fascinated by people that recognize they don't know everything. That's when I expect a certain reaction, and I get a reaction that is totally different. It's like dropping a ball, and it falls up. Have we lost gravity? Or is one upside down and they don't realize it?

Anyway, this is a lot of blah blah blah... Although I did like the ball metaphor, I will have a certain amount of anxiety over posting this because I know I'm an idiot. The person that knows two people does not know they are also an idiot. The Human Race...

Just my take.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 3:11 pm

Anxiety can be a handicap and it is better to try and overcome it if you can.