Place you've traveled that's farthest away from home?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
And as we have been told, in the USA it is not polite to step out of the car, if you get stopped by the police.

Isn't it funny how tourists all over the world are given slack by the locals? If you were American you would have been beaten into a coma or shot for getting out of the car :lol:

One of the things that I enjoy about traveling is people are much more patient when you are a tourist. AS never comes into question, they just assume it is cultural differences.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 6:24 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Isn't it funny how tourists all over the world are given slack by the locals? If you were American you would have been beaten into a coma or shot for getting out of the car :lol:

An elderly neighbour of mine was in her hire car and tried to reach over for her passport during a stop by a highway patrolman. She ended up with the gun placed at point-blank range to the side of her head as is kind of de rigeur there.

Last edited by Tequila on 18 Jan 2013, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 6:31 pm

Tequila wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

An elderly neighbour of mine was in her hire car and tried to reach over for her passport during a stop by a highway patrolman. She ended up with the gun placed at point-blank range to the side of the effect, as is kind of de rigeur there.

Hey man, as 'civilized' as we Americans are we still have the greatest proportion of imprisoned citizenry in the world. No surprise that cops are trained to think everyone is the enemy. We bring freedom to the world while slowly disintegrating into a police state with one set of laws for bankers and corporations and another set of laws for us expendable serfs.

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

Vermont, USA.

Schwammerl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Switzerland - Europe - Earth - Solar System - Milky Way - Virgo SC - Universe

18 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

Singapore (from Switzerland).

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 5:36 pm

Kyoto and a few other cities in Japan.

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2013, 9:47 am

When I was in my teens, it was from Florida to Bodo, Norway. And in my 50's I went from Los Angeles to Tsfat,Israel.

BTW, about that police interaction thing. My Spectrumite father gave me sage advice that I've always followed.
1. They have a loaded gun.
2.Even if they are not right about something, they think they are and they are armed.
3. Look at and memorize their badge name and number without being obvious, but do not use it if THEY stopped you. If you called them, always appear grateful and appreciative when you tell them what 'happened' - be prepared to repeat yourself - nicely.
4. The gun is loaded.
5. They are usually not the smartest person in the interaction, but they have a loaded gun.
6. Smile, be polite, gently inform them about any and every movement you want to make, and/or ask their permission. "Officer, my insurance papers are in the glove compartment, should I get them out?"
7.They have a loaded gun.
8. To this I would add, if you think you would be non-verbal, or verbally challenged - prepare a card or other paper that you keep in an open spot explaining your disability. Point to it early in the 'confrontation' and give it to him or her with your license or other requested materials. Nod and smile if possible.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:05 am

California.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2013, 10:48 pm

From coast to coast, California to Washington DC - about 2,680 miles. Mazatlan was less distance, but seemed farther due to the cultural differences. :)

I don't travel much though. The Mexico trip was when I was young, and the DC trip for work.

Last edited by BlueAbyss on 22 Jan 2013, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 5:43 am

I'll be the furtherest west I've ever been on the weekend; Lightning Ridge lol

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:11 am

Hard to tell without checking out Google for distances.

But either 1770 (early primary school), which is a decent drive up the coast of the state I live in, or moving from Charleville to Brisbane.

I haven't left the state I was born in.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 7:12 am

Vancouver

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2013, 8:54 am

Just moved to San Jose from Phoenix.
This is the farthest I have ever been from "home". I am now renting a room in someone else's house in completely alien territory. This is the first time I have ever been out on my own. I have nothing familiar but a few sets of clothes in a bag at the moment, I'm currently curled up under my bed with a couple of pillows, a random blanket (stranger blanket) and my laptop (which isn't familiar either - it's new) and I'm slowly melting down... I can feel the stress building and it has only been... 4 days since I had "home" disappear out from under me.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 10:24 pm

I went to Quebec City, Canada a few years ago, and I went to Brazil last summer.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:20 pm

Colorado. Loved the mountains. Love traveling in general, although not with large groups.