Some people say the "c" is silent in rap.

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 8:21 pm

People can define poetry, art, and music however they wish, but I, personally, don’t believe in limiting personal expression. If I don’t like something, I’ll just say I don’t like it without making a judgement call on the entire art form.

Maybe I just don’t get it for whatever reason.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 27 Aug 2023, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 8:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
If it lacks metre and rhyme, it is not poetry.

?

You haven't read free verse?

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2023, 8:24 pm

Like I said before, I don't hate any entire genre of music (rap included), I just don't care for certain songs.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 8:25 pm

I like it, but I’ve not listened to it that often. I don’t really know why.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 8:36 pm

My son taught me all about Kendrick Lamar as an amazing lyricist.

The music style isn't my thing but his songwriting is great.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 4:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Instead of repeating clichés that aren't even applicable criticisms, why not listen to what a music theorist has to say?
Because I refuse to let YouTube do my thinking for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 4:43 am

too much rap reminds me of ranting.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 6:27 am

it's interesting how many criticisms there are leveled against rap music, which are not equally leveled against other genres when they do the exact same things.

It's also interesting how much more acceptable it seem to be to "hate" rap music, vs all other genres of music.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 6:36 am

Walt Whitman’s work is incredibly important and meaningful, but according to some here, much of it is not poetry. Perhaps their opinion on rap is similarly…questionable.

I wouldn’t relate the two art forms if they hadn’t already done so.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Aug 2023, 9:02 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
it's interesting how many criticisms there are leveled against rap music, which are not equally leveled against other genres when they do the exact same things.

It's also interesting how much more acceptable it seem to be to "hate" rap music, vs all other genres of music.
Country music is associated with illiterate rednecks. Heavy metal music is associated with satanism. Glam rock got associated with turning teens gay. Punk music got associated with angry teens starting riots. Blues got associated with people making themselves blind by getting drunk & doing drugs. Bluegrass got associated with being inbred & needing extra fingers & toes to play. EMO music is associated with sucial depressed teens slashing their wrists for attention.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 9:28 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Instead of repeating clichés that aren't even applicable criticisms, why not listen to what a music theorist has to say?

He is not asking you to let youtube to do your thinking for you.

He is asking you to listen to a music theorist.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 10:58 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

You refuse to think on the topic period, that's why you resort to ignorantly repeating thought-terminating clichés instead of risking being exposed to facts.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 3:36 pm

nick007 wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:

Country music is associated with illiterate rednecks. Heavy metal music is associated with satanism. Glam rock got associated with turning teens gay. Punk music got associated with angry teens starting riots. Blues got associated with people making themselves blind by getting drunk & doing drugs. Bluegrass got associated with being inbred & needing extra fingers & toes to play. EMO music is associated with sucial depressed teens slashing their wrists for attention.

While it's true that various genres have their respective stereotypes, none of the above mentioned clichés involve claiming that the whole genre isn't actually even music.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 5:15 am

If non-musical "music" or non-poetic "poetry" can at least express some deep philosophic thinking, then at least it has that much going for it.

I am a musician (mostly flute and violin these days), although I make no money at it.  I understand more music theory than (it seems) most rap performers could ever hope to understand, even if they wanted to understand it.

Walt Whitman's prose and poetry had some profound thinking behind it, and I have never read any of his works that talked about popping a cap into a ho, or declaring war on the cops.  And as far as I know, he never wrote anything about The Man from Nantucket.

Genres like C&W and Death Metal do not appeal to me very much, but at least I can tell the difference between Johnny Cash and Johnny Rotten.

If you do not like my opinions about music, poetry, and artistry in general, then deal with it on your own -- do not even try to convince me that something like, "Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin'" (Dr. Dre, "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang") has any thoughtful meaning behind it whatsoever.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 11:37 am

Fnord wrote:
If you do not like my opinions about music, poetry, and artistry in general, then deal with it on your own -- do not even try to convince me that something like, "Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin'" (Dr. Dre, "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang") has any thoughtful meaning behind it whatsoever.

:roll:

Imagine believing shallow lyrics were all it takes to define music as not being music.

And then trying to be taken seriously when arguing for that position.

Regarding your example:

Quote:
For a gangster, “slipping” could mean a breach in discipline that makes one vulnerable to ones enemies. For an artist, it could mean letting ones creative standards fall. Either way, a nightmare for a notorious perfectionist like Dre.

Ironically, this line about keeping everything perfect is often cited as one of the worst rap lines ever.

However, others consider it a profound line. With a slight twist of grammar, changing the predicate in the last clause to a form of the verb “to be,” Dre echoes the central existentialist idea of existence preceding essence. If Dre is what he does, as this would argue, than to slip would not merely be for him to take a wrong action, but to cease to be the man he has made himself (one who never slips). It’s a powerful testament to his perfectionist ethic.

Beyond that, he's been one of the most sought after producers of the past few decades. He's launched countless careers. The guy's forgotten more about making music than you've ever known. He plays multiple instruments including piano.

Most hop-hop producers play multiple instruments. The person you're arguing with plays multiple instruments. The fact that you also dabbled with playing an instrument doesn't mean s**t.

Last edited by funeralxempire on 30 Aug 2023, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 5:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Imagine believing shallow lyrics were all it takes to define music as not being music.
Imagine actually having read every word of all of my posts in this thread.  Can you do that?  Thank you.

Shallow lyrics are only ONE characteristic of rap.  There are also the violent and misogynist imagery.  There is the lack of melody and harmony.  There is the general impression of hatred expressed by the performers with themselves, the people around them, and society in general.

Now, I offered one example, and some seem to think it is the only example I know.  This is not true.  I can tune my radio to any station with an 'urban' format at any random time of the day and hear the performers focusing on how great they are, how they hate the cops, how little respect they have for women, how much they are into drugs and violence, and how white people are at fault for all of it.  There may be some socially uplifting performances out there, but they are obliterated in tsunamis of violent imagery.

It's scary.  More so than a Southern Baptist preacher giving a fire and brimstone speech about how he thinks Trump is going to save America.

The fact that they are only reciting their 'rhymes' with monotone voices and little inflection or dynamic range in time with their sampled (stolen) tracks means that it is not music, either.

Simple as that.