Some people say the "c" is silent in rap.

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 10:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If you do not like my opinions about music, poetry, and artistry in general, then deal with it on your own -- do not even try to convince me that something like, "Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin'" (Dr. Dre, "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang") has any thoughtful meaning behind it whatsoever.
Imagine believing shallow lyrics were all it takes to define music as not being music.
Imagine actually having read every word of all of my posts in this thread.  Can you do that?  Thank you.

Shallow lyrics are only ONE characteristic of rap.  There are also the violent and misogynist imagery.  There is the lack of melody and harmony.  There is the general impression of hatred expressed by the performers with themselves, the people around them, and society in general.

Now, I offered one example, and some seem to think it is the only example I know.  This is not true.  I can tune my radio to any station with an 'urban' format at any random time of the day and hear the performers focusing on how great they are, how they hate the cops, how little respect they have for women, how much they are into drugs and violence, and how white people are at fault for all of it.  There may be some socially uplifting performances out there, but they are obliterated in tsunamis of violent imagery.

It's scary.  More so than a Southern Baptist preacher giving a fire and brimstone speech about how he thinks Trump is going to save America.

The fact that they are only reciting their 'rhymes' with monotone voices and little inflection or dynamic range in time with their sampled (stolen) tracks means that it is not music, either.

Simple as that.

#confidentlyincorrect

Translation: Rap isn't music because Fnord doesn't actually understand what defines music (despite someone offering a music theorist's perspective on why rap most objectively is music), because it isn't sung and he can't understand how rappers use pitch (despite someone offering a video explaining this specific aspect) and because he personally doesn't like the lyrics of most hip-hop he's personally been exposed to.

In its most literal sense, a melody is a combination of pitch and rhythm. Well, hip-hop most certainly possesses that.

In music, harmony is the concept of combining different sounds together in order to create new, distinct musical ideas. Pretty sure hip-hop possesses that too.

Music is generally defined as the art of arranging sound to create some combination of form, harmony, melody, rhythm, or otherwise expressive content. Definitions of music vary depending on culture, though it is an aspect of all human societies and a cultural universal. While scholars agree that music is defined by a few specific elements, there is no consensus on their precise definitions.

Based on this, it seems reasonable to conclude that Fnord needs reminded of how music is defined and that hip-hop most certainly qualifies even if it is not to Fnord's tastes.

Being to Fnord's tastes is not part of the definition of music therefore your overwhelming contempt for hip-hop is completely irrelevant to whether or not it meets the definition.

Nothing you can say will alter than fact.

Personally, just for a tangent, I've never heard a rap song about blaming white people for everything, and I've almost certainly heard a lot more hip-hop than you have. Perhaps you were projecting your own prejudices?

How about any other hip-hop heads on here? Maybe my exposure is just much more shallow than Fnord's. Where's all these blame wh***y rap songs? Surely we can get some popular examples since allegedly they're so widespread.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Aug 2023, 6:03 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Instead of repeating clichés that aren't even applicable criticisms, why not listen to what a music theorist has to say?
Because I refuse to let YouTube do my thinking for me.
Much of YouTube is informative, educational and extremely well presented - professional even. Such is the case with the linked videos which I'd urge you to watch, or at least listen to.

It's quite unfair and rather silly to dismiss YouTube as irrelevant noise from talking heads telling you what to think.
Like any open platform there's a fair amount of that, as with WP - and as with WP there are also some real gems of thinking and information.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 6:12 am

Cornflake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Instead of repeating clichés that aren't even applicable criticisms, why not listen to what a music theorist has to say?
Because I refuse to let YouTube do my thinking for me.
Much of YouTube is informative, educational and extremely well presented - professional even.  Such is the case with the linked videos which I'd urge you to watch, or at least listen to.  It's quite unfair and rather silly to dismiss YouTube as irrelevant noise from talking heads telling you what to think.  Like any open platform there's a fair amount of that, as with WP - and as with WP there are also some real gems of thinking and information.
While there is merit to what you say, it is important that someone I both trust and respect vouches for the media offering.  Since you have done so, I will give the video a once-over.  If it comes across to me as simply more subjective opinions of a so-called 'expert', then it is not worth a second, deeper look.  If the claims expressed therein are based on verifiable facts of music theory, there is then a chance that maybe I might possibly learn something from it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Aug 2023, 6:17 am

Thanks for the vote of trust. :heart:

The clever drawings used to annotate the content may not be to your tastes but they're not an essential part of the spoken content.