Page 4 of 12 [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 7:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
I think slogans like "any man can be a rapist" or "any man can be a violent assaulter" are not only an insult to men but actually harmful to women. I read that 0,5% of the men in my country are convicted sex offenders. That makes it about four times more likeley that a man is autistic or twenty times more likely that he's openly gay than he's a sex offender. Of course you can speculate about the number of men escaping justice or innocent ones being convicted, but let's not go down that road. Instead of lumping together 99,5% of men with that small group of offenders I think it's better to focus on what sets the 0,5% apart from men in general and fund research in that field so that women can learn to spot the warning signs. A lot of violence, included sexual, against women is by a partner or someone the woman willingly had engaged with. And a lot of the men that attack and assault women they don't know are in a long term relationship with a woman. And I doubt any of these offenders are incels. This is a clear indication that women are rather clueless about these warning signs.

Are you suggesting that the small minority of men who are rapists can be readily identified from the rest of the male population?

If not than you should probably concede there is truth to the idea that any man can be a rapist. Not because all men are rapists, but because there's nothing unique about rapists except for a specific behaviour.

Do you actually believe that there is no psychological or personality difference between rapists and other men? Do you think it's a coincidence that only this small minority of men have this "specific behaviour"?

I believe they're much smaller than you're seeking to suggest.

It's hard to add anything to what Izzy and TP already said.

The differences aren't so obvious that one can just spot the rapists, if things worked that way there'd be a lot less instances of SA. You're trying to frame things as though people who commit these sorts of crimes are typically obvious bad guys, rather than regular guys who made the wrong decision.

I know you'd like to think that you're radically different from bad guys, but at the end of the day you're not. What separates you and I from the bad guys is how we choose to behave, nothing innate. It might satisfy the ego to imagine being innately different from the bad guys, but that doesn't mean it's actually grounded in reality or helpful when trying to discuss how to reduce SA.

I am not "trying to frame things" in the way you suggest. You are reading in too much in what I write, or at least you pretend to in order to make it easier to counter my arguments. "You like to think that you're radically different from bad guys, but at the end of the day you're not". What kind of nonsense is that? What do you know about how I think or what seperates me from the bad guys? Are you practising some mysterious form of mindreading? I suspect you will carry on in the same way regardless the arguments you encounter. I will not waste more time on this. I rest my case and leave this thread.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 May 2024, 7:18 pm

I only heard the phrase "don't poke the bear" when it's meant as telling someone that they should not be provoked. I think in the case of the meme it's implying that women should not make men angry like do as he says & put out or he'll get aggrseive. That is offensive to both men & women. It's making men seem like slaves to their animal insticts & victim blaming women for not being more cautlous. I bet it's only increasing animosity between both genders making women & men feel more alienated by each other. I'm not a fan of memes for discussing serious issues because the issues are a lot more complicated than memes can illistrate. The world is not that black & white.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 7:26 pm

BillyTree wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
I think slogans like "any man can be a rapist" or "any man can be a violent assaulter" are not only an insult to men but actually harmful to women. I read that 0,5% of the men in my country are convicted sex offenders. That makes it about four times more likeley that a man is autistic or twenty times more likely that he's openly gay than he's a sex offender. Of course you can speculate about the number of men escaping justice or innocent ones being convicted, but let's not go down that road. Instead of lumping together 99,5% of men with that small group of offenders I think it's better to focus on what sets the 0,5% apart from men in general and fund research in that field so that women can learn to spot the warning signs. A lot of violence, included sexual, against women is by a partner or someone the woman willingly had engaged with. And a lot of the men that attack and assault women they don't know are in a long term relationship with a woman. And I doubt any of these offenders are incels. This is a clear indication that women are rather clueless about these warning signs.

Are you suggesting that the small minority of men who are rapists can be readily identified from the rest of the male population?

If not than you should probably concede there is truth to the idea that any man can be a rapist. Not because all men are rapists, but because there's nothing unique about rapists except for a specific behaviour.

Do you actually believe that there is no psychological or personality difference between rapists and other men? Do you think it's a coincidence that only this small minority of men have this "specific behaviour"?

I believe they're much smaller than you're seeking to suggest.

It's hard to add anything to what Izzy and TP already said.

The differences aren't so obvious that one can just spot the rapists, if things worked that way there'd be a lot less instances of SA. You're trying to frame things as though people who commit these sorts of crimes are typically obvious bad guys, rather than regular guys who made the wrong decision.

I know you'd like to think that you're radically different from bad guys, but at the end of the day you're not. What separates you and I from the bad guys is how we choose to behave, nothing innate. It might satisfy the ego to imagine being innately different from the bad guys, but that doesn't mean it's actually grounded in reality or helpful when trying to discuss how to reduce SA.

I am not "trying to frame things" in the way you suggest. You are reading in too much in what I write, or at least you pretend to in order to make it easier to counter my arguments. "You like to think that you're radically different from bad guys, but at the end of the day you're not". What kind of nonsense is that? What do you know about how I think or what seperates me from the bad guys? Are you practising some mysterious form of mindreading? I suspect you will carry on in the same way regardless the arguments you encounter. I will not waste more time on this. I rest my case and leave this thread.

Framing is something everyone does when presenting their perspective. Perhaps you're not consciously doing it, but that's not the same as not doing it.

As for what goes on inside your head, you're correct that I don't specifically know what goes on inside your head. However, I do have a lot of experience both with people and with tendencies towards black and white thinking.

Most people like to picture themselves as good and distance their self-image from what they consider bad. This means certain topics invoke an emotional reaction from people that involves distinguishing themselves from the people who do or believe the bad thing.

This is why discussions on topics like racism or SA often become so contentious, because a portion of people feel like their toes are being stepped on and they typically respond either by trying to differentiate themselves, or by saying the problem is being blown out of proportion, or that their behaviour doesn't count because it's only a mild example and the real bad guys meet this criteria instead.

Even if we accept that you're inherently less likely to ever engage in anything resembling SA, how does that offer any useful insight to the discussion of how to prevent it? Not needing to worry about you personally doesn't change that most SA is committed by regular people rather than easily identified superpredators.

If the average rapist is indistinguishable from the average man, how are women supposed to readily identify them?

If you're resting your case, case dismissed, you've failed to present a compelling one.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 7:29 pm

nick007 wrote:
I only heard the phrase "don't poke the bear" when it's meant as telling someone that they should not be provoked. I think in the case of the meme it's implying that women should not make men angry like do as he says & put out or he'll get aggrseive. That is offensive to both men & women. It's making men seem like slaves to their animal insticts & victim blaming women for not being more cautlous. I bet it's only increasing animosity between both genders making women & men feel more alienated by each other. I'm not a fan of memes for discussing serious issues because the issues are a lot more complicated than memes can illistrate. The world is not that black & white.

100% agreement with this.

I remember hearing people making the comparison between women in revealing clothing and leaving dogs with meat... this is victim-blamey, but also insulting. I'm probably well below average when it comes to self-discipline and impulse inhibition but I'm pretty sure I'm better than a dog as well as more receptive to training, and I assume this is true of all other humans.

Those comparisons are used to excuse and normalize actions that ought not to be normalized or excused.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:02 pm

nick007 wrote:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I think the meme is regarding the question of whether a woman would rather encounter a strange man or a bear in the woods. That’s it. When the question was posed on TikTok, most women selected a bear. I don’t think there’s any implication that women would make men angry or are to blame if a man is angry.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/06/us/man-b ... index.html

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:07 pm

I haven't seen the meme and frankly I don't think a meme has much bearing (no pun) or reality or perception.
The reality is that I personally would rather encounter a man in the woods than a bear.

So what?

That doesn't mean there aren't friendly bears, or vicious men.

Chances are, people are more in danger from bears but that's beside the point.
It only takes one bad person to hurt someone regardless of the stats.
It's not like we encounter bears everywhere we go, or we're expected to date and marry them.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:14 pm

I might need more information. :lol:

If there are cubs nearby, I would definitely prefer a man. I have run into men when I was out hiking in the woods a couple times. My heart rate always goes up, and I feel anxious/almost panicky. I haven’t yet been mauled by any of them, so that’s nice. Of course, I’ve not been mauled by any bears either. I’ve seen bears from a distance. Proximity is important. A distant bear would not be as problematic as a distant man with a gun. Bears with guns would be less risky than men with guns, unless the men are stormtroopers. Then it’s pretty even.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 07 May 2024, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:21 pm

Everything changes if it's a hundred acre wood, or it's a bear of very little brain.

Men with very little brains can go either way.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:25 pm

Another day, another reminder from the internet of the terrible nature of men. :roll:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:26 pm

I :heart: Winnie-the-Pooh.

Interesting:

Quote:
The 750,000 black bears of North America kill less than one person per year on the average.

https://bear.org/bear-facts/how-dangero ... ack%20bear.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:28 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Another day, another reminder from the internet of the terrible nature of men. :roll:

No, the behavior of SOME men doesn’t say anything about the behavior of ALL men.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:31 pm

I wonder how many women being attacked by a man have been rescued by a bear.

Or, being attacked by a bear and rescued by a man?

Interesting stat, but how many people are around bears during that year?

*I'm not downplaying violence against women whatsoever.
I just think it's a stupid meme about an otherwise legitimate topic.
Whoever invented it wants to make women look crazy.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:36 pm

I’ve always heard that bears will almost always leave you alone if you leave them alone unless there are cubs around. They are usually afraid of people.

In any case, I don’t think it’s meant to be taken 100% seriously/literally. It’s just supposed to demonstrate that while most know that bears can be a threat, not all realize the extent that men can be viewed as one as this thread seems to have demonstrated…

Most humans are decent, but it’s impossible to tell who isn’t.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 07 May 2024, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:48 pm

Exactly. ^

I understand the sentiment but it's a false dichotomy which can create misunderstandings.

At the same time, I know it gets people talking.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 8:57 pm

I've seen black bears in BC from the gondola chair lift on Whistler/Blackcomb. ^

They were cute as heck.

When I was in Canmore AB a woman had just been killed by a Grizzly.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 9:02 pm

It’s just a hypothetical question - a thought experiment. From what I have seen, it appears to be raising awareness although some are certainly missing the point.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/06/us/man-b ... index.html

Quote:
Another day, another hypothetical scenario tearing people apart on social media. However, this cultural discourse has some sharp teeth.

The question, directed towards women, seems simple: Would you rather be alone in the woods with a man or a bear?

While there’s no unanimous answer, a good number of women on TikTok, Instagram and X have made it clear they’d prefer the bear. This has sparked anger among some men online, but more than that, it has snowballed into a valuable discussion about violence against women and how danger doesn’t always take the shape of a wild animal on the prowl.

It’s not actually about the bear
In one TikTok video, viewed more than 16.7 million times, an interviewer asks eight women on the street whether they’d rather be stuck in a forest with a man or a bear. Seven out of the eight answer, with very little hesitation, the latter.

There are innumerable variants of this video, with the question asked among groups of friends, to family members and partners and strangers on the street. When asked why they would pick the bear, women all give some iteration of the same answer: With a bear, they know what the dangers are. They know, at least in theory, how to survive the encounter.

The comments on the previously mentioned video make that painfully clear:

“You know what to expect from a bear.”

“Absolutely a bear humans are capable of so so much worse.”

“Bear, because If I got attacked by a bear people would believe me.”

It’s impossible to conduct a statistical analysis on whether one particular man would be more dangerous than one particular bear, especially since we all spend a lot more of our daily existence in proximity to men than wild ursines. The point of this clearly hypothetical exercise has nothing to do with survival skills or being able to tell a black bear from a brown one.

“The fact that women would even consider hypothetical man/bear questions means we have utterly failed to create a safe society,” one user wrote on X.

According to data from the United Nations, almost 89,000 women and girls were intentionally killed worldwide in 2022. UN data also shows that one in three women across the world have experienced intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence, categories that include domestic violence and rape.

That doesn’t include sexual harassment or other situations that can put a woman in fear of her life. The UN’s data claims a sizable majority of women parliamentarians and journalists have experienced psychological violence in the public sphere — a specific statistic, but one that shows how deep into a woman’s existence the threat of violence can go.

A lot of critics are missing the point
People rankled by the number of women choosing to take their chances with a bear have called the question “misandrist” and said it’s an excuse to freely hate on men. Others, missing the point entirely, have taken the opportunity to mock and belittle women in response.

One X post shows a cartoon of a woman telling a bear she’s glad to be stuck with it “instead of a man teehee.” In the second panel, the bear has violently mauled her.

“Help me understand the math,” a top response reads. “Women said they feel safer with a bear than a man. So in response you as a man decided to create imagery of them being violently dissected to prove that you’re not violent and are safe to be around?”

This kind of unintentional proof-of-theory has frustrated women who feel like some men genuinely don’t understand, or care to understand, what it feels like to never feel entirely safe around other people.

A post on Instagram Threads, shared thousands of times, further illustrates this gap.

“A woman should definitely pick the bear,” the post reads. “The bear would eat her. It’s not going to help her one bit. A man she can bond with to a point where he will work with her to survive in the woods. If she used her feminine traits. He would hunt, building and protect.”

It goes on, but that penultimate line, “if she used her feminine traits,” spawned waves of comments from people shocked at the irony.

A lot of detractors also seem to be misunderstanding the definition of a hypothetical question. LSD Law, a portal for law students, offers an especially clear explanation:

“Hypothetical means something that is not necessarily true, but is used to help explain or understand something else. It is like a pretend situation that we use to learn or think about something.”

Men are lending their voices to the discussion
As much as it feels like a battle of the sexes, the “man vs. bear” question is far from split along gendered lines. Many men have shared their take on the situation, and come out on the side of the bear as well.

One TikToker asked her father, a lifelong bear hunter, which he would prefer for her.

“You’d have a better chance with the bear,” he said, after a moment of thought. Then, without a hint of irony or drama, he goes on: “Because men are evil.”

Another user added a layer of nuance, pointing out that men (or people in general) can lie, make false promises, downplay their own danger and generally be predatory on a level no bear could ever be.

“The bear wouldn’t apologize after and promise to never do it again,” he said.

TikTok creator and anti-misogynist educator Call Me BK, who claims to have started the current man vs. bear debate, said he didn’t even consider the question to be hypothetical.

He points to a video posted on March 12, where he says, “If you’re alone in the woods, seeing a man is ten times scarier than seeing a bear.”

“I never presented it as a ‘would you rather’ question because I already knew that women were picking the bear,” he said in a recent post.

Call Me BK has spent numerous videos trying to explain to men why women would pick the bear, and each subsequent attempt has drawn comments from people saying it’s ridiculous, hateful, illogical or worse.

However, some positive comments have argued that the question isn’t meant to lambaste men or pick apart the potential danger of a bear encounter. It is, in the way hypothetical questions are, a door to something bigger.

“You started an important conversation,” one commenter wrote on TikTok. “It didn’t just go into a debate. It led to some of us mothers having important talks with our older sons. This is the kinda thing that can change the future.”

This is so relatable:
“Bear, because If I got attacked by a bear people would believe me.”