Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 9:03 pm

Mr_Miner wrote:
The past few years I have noticed people calling other people autistic when they say something they do not agree with..

I have never heard autism used in New Zealand in that way. Perhaps it's exclusively an American thing?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 9:12 pm

I don't ever hear it used as an insult.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 1:08 am

I have seen it online. I think it is a younger generations thing

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 1:58 am

I've seen it on Reddit a few times.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2016, 7:00 am

Wonder why Autism is used as an insult, but not some other condition?

Attention has been brought to autism, a lot of attention, the wrong kind, unknowingly, and by misguided people.

-Johnnyh

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2016, 7:41 am

It is used as an insult pretty often on the Internet. It never really bothered me though. I don't care.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 8:11 am

my mom was watching this show about these little people and one of them called the other one "autistic" and said she was "being autistic" because she didn't understand something. That's pretty terrible ...

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 10:40 am

johnnyh wrote:

Attention has been brought to autism, a lot of attention, the wrong kind, unknowingly, and by misguided people.

I've seen ADHD thrown around a few times... Sometimes, in a humorous way, other times, as an insult.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 10:54 am

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
johnnyh wrote:

I've seen ADHD thrown around a few times... Sometimes, in a humorous way, other times, as an insult.

^same, for OCD and schizophrenia too. It isn't just autism.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 11:18 am

racheypie666 wrote:
johnnyh wrote:

Yeah, that's very true, as well.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
johnnyh wrote:

I have never seen OCD or schizophrenia or ADHD being used as insults. I have only seen them being used as buzzwords. "I like my things organized, I am so OCD" "Oh that spelling error makes my OCD go crazy" "Oh that mistake in the tile pattern drives my OCD crazy" and I see all these OCD meme jokes about things being organized or noticing a little difference in a pattern. People with OCD get sick of these and hate all these jokes and the way their mental illness has been turned into a quirk and people self diagnosing themselves with it because they like things neat or organized or in order. And I have seen people with OCD worrying about being a schizophrenic and I think that is legitimate.

And I have heard a few times already how all kids have ADHD or lot of kids. I have also seen the same with the words panic attack and trigger and people with anxiety and PTSD get offended by how those words are used. People will put the word trigger to mean it will offend people or get them upset, not that it will give them flash backs and bring back their past and memories and those feelings.

I am not saying these don't ever get used as insults, I just haven't seen it yet. But I am hesitant to say how I used to be OCD about a clean house because I am afraid other OCD people will think I am one of those people misusing it. But an interesting thing I have sometimes seen on an OCD forum is people going on there and asking about their OCD and talking about their obsession and I would notice their obsession seems to be leaning more towards ASD than OCD because of what they are obsessing about and not being able to stop. Unless they say something like how they feel stressed out about it and how they think something bad will happen if they don't know all the lines from a movie, then I will think OCD.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 12:26 pm

If someone tried to insult me by calling me autistic, I'd take it as a compliment.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm

League_Girl wrote:
racheypie666 wrote:
johnnyh wrote:

I have never seen OCD or schizophrenia or ADHD being used as insults. I have only seen them being used as buzzwords.
I am not saying these don't ever get used as insults, I just haven't seen it yet.

They definitely get used as buzzwords, on occasion I've seen that spill into insult too. At school one of my classmates was very bright and popular but prone to anger. He was a bit upset one day and another boy said something like "ooh, I better watch out or you'll go f*****g schizo on me". That kind of blurs the line between buzzword and insult, especially as (unbeknownst to the boy who had said it), my classmate's mother actually was schizophrenic, and he couldn't live with her because of it. Doubtless he was also afraid that he might be like his mother; he definitely took it as an insult anyway.

Similarly I've heard people say 'oh God, why'd you have to be so OCD about everything :evil: ' etc., which I guess is either complementary or insulting depending on your connotations of OCD.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 3:32 pm

PatrickJane wrote:
It is used as an insult pretty often on the Internet. It never really bothered me though. I don't care.

You Autistic!

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 8:01 pm

johnnyh wrote:

I have heard of many conditions being used as insults: blind, deaf, ret*d, spastic, adhd, ocd, schizophrenic, autistic, bipolar...

... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disability-related_terms_with_negative_connotations

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: