Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 8:36 pm

Knofskia wrote:
johnnyh wrote:
Wonder why Autism is used as an insult, but not some other condition?

I have heard of many conditions being used as insults: blind, deaf, ret*d, spastic, adhd, ocd, schizophrenic, autistic, bipolar...

... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disability-related_terms_with_negative_connotations

"Are you crazy?"
"Are you deaf?"
"Are you blind?"
"Are you illiterate?"
"You're delusional."
"You're so paranoid."
"You're so ret*d."
"He's so ret*d."

I have heard all these including sperg and spaz. Sometimes I see people using these terms on themselves like ret*d and and sperg and spaz or saying they're deaf even though they're not or saying they're blind even though their eyes are fine. I have seen people use the term Bipolar for anything like saying the weather is Bipolar meaning the weather keeps on changing that same day or saying they are feeling Bipolar or having Bipolar emotions. So far I haven't seen anyone say they are having an autistic day or being in an autistic mood or mode or having an autistic moment.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 11:33 pm

green0star wrote:
my mom was watching this show about these little people and one of them called the other one "autistic" and said she was "being autistic" because she didn't understand something. That's pretty terrible ...

Yeah, it's too bad that they weren't more empathetic since they probably know what it's like to be mistreated.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 7:18 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Knofskia wrote:
johnnyh wrote:
Wonder why Autism is used as an insult, but not some other condition?

I have heard of many conditions being used as insults: blind, deaf, ret*d, spastic, adhd, ocd, schizophrenic, autistic, bipolar...

... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disability-related_terms_with_negative_connotations

"Are you crazy?"
"Are you deaf?"
"Are you blind?"
"Are you illiterate?"
"You're delusional."
"You're so paranoid."
"You're so ret*d."
"He's so ret*d."

I have heard all these including sperg and spaz. Sometimes I see people using these terms on themselves like ret*d and and sperg and spaz or saying they're deaf even though they're not or saying they're blind even though their eyes are fine. I have seen people use the term Bipolar for anything like saying the weather is Bipolar meaning the weather keeps on changing that same day or saying they are feeling Bipolar or having Bipolar emotions. So far I haven't seen anyone say they are having an autistic day or being in an autistic mood or mode or having an autistic moment.

there's the word "lame" used as an insult. "you're so lame". the word means unable to walk.

nopantspolicy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Oct 2016, 7:42 pm

I usually see autism used as an insult when someone gives too much information about something, or seems to care too much about something others perceive as small or unimportant...

or if they say something inappropriate for the conversation. :(

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 7:49 pm

It bothers me a lot and I hate it. I keep telling people on Youtube there's nothing wrong with being autistic. But humans are too ignorant and malicious to realize that. They hate everyone who acts the least bit out of the ordinary, and so I hate them right back even more and wish they would just DIE. :evil:

DJKhaleedBRjan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Oct 2016, 10:30 pm

I don't care for this man's channel, but he makes some good points: https://youtu.be/mrQDkksUyCU

The big reason people hate autists is because a lot of socially ret*d degenerates use this affliction to shield themselves from being held responsible for their sociopathic behavior. Some examples are people such as Christian Weston Chandler, who has numerous times used autism to excuse his behavior. If you are an autistic person who is responsible and a contributing member of society it is your responsibility to call these people out and denounce them. They have no right to drag down our reputation and make normal and good people look bad.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 10:33 pm

I am not even going to bother to back-read the posts here, I am just going to say, the so called Normal people are the ones that I feel the most uncomfortable to be around and I have the hardest time trusting.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 11:25 pm

DJKhaleedBRjan wrote:
I don't care for this man's channel, but he makes some good points: https://youtu.be/mrQDkksUyCU

The big reason people hate autists is because a lot of socially ret*d degenerates use this affliction to shield themselves from being held responsible for their sociopathic behavior. Some examples are people such as Christian Weston Chandler, who has numerous times used autism to excuse his behavior. If you are an autistic person who is responsible and a contributing member of society it is your responsibility to call these people out and denounce them. They have no right to drag down our reputation and make normal and good people look bad.

I could relate to lot of the things he said in the video. It took me a while to wake up and realize it's not always because I am different that people treat me terribly. Some people are just dicks, that is how some people really are. Sometimes it has to do with your opinions and what you believe in, sometimes you don't have things in common. Sometimes people have problems and they take it out on you so it has nothing to do with you. Some people are just sensitive so they overreact so it's not that you did anything wrong. Some people are just insecured so they will take it out on you. It has nothing to do with being different and I have to remind myself this happens to everyone. Also I had to realize I look like everyone else so just because a random person does something to me doesn't mean it was because I am different, it was just random and because that person is probably a dick. Also if you say something hurtful or mean, yes there will still be a consequence rather you meant it or not. Even without autism, people would still react that way no matter what to that comment. I also realize if someone is treating you horribly, maybe they are just horrible people and that is how they treat everyone. I had to learn to take things less personally. Even online I will sometimes look through a person's posts to see if they have done that same thing to another person and if they have, I don't take it personal. And of course some people don't like change so they don't like anything a little different so autism or not, still the same results if you're non autistic but still different than lot of people because you are socially awkward or introverted or because you have a stutter or a lisp or because you don't follow the social norms. Plus if someone doesn't like you because you are too quiet, maybe they just don't like quiet people.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:03 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
xile123 wrote:
Insults made towards Autistic people should be dealt with the same way as racism, misogyny, Islamophobia, homophobia etc.. Muslims, Gays, colored people and women get special treatment/protection from society, so when is it gonna be our turn?

This is what angers me so much. LGBTs, blacks, and women used to be mocked and insulted, but protections were put in place and now they have virtually equal rights as everyone else. Why don't people see the double standard here with autism? We should be treated like everyone else too and not be seen as a punchline.

The thing I have with this is that autism is not a race, religion or orientation although it seems often viewed as such.
Especially with Aspie vs NT along the lines of black vs white, gay vs stright, Muslim vs Christian.

If I were to lump autism in with other things, I would choose other neurological disorder disabilities like epilepsy and cerebral palsy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:31 am

And now Aspergers is used in a pejorative way in a Netflix movie
LILY COLLINS HAS “CALORIE ASPERGER’S” IN THE ‘TO THE BONE’ TRAILER

The film is also generating controversy over its dipiction of anorexia the subject of the film which is written and directed by a recovering anorexic
Here's Why People Are Arguing Over A Trailer For A Netflix Movie About Anorexia

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 9:14 am

When I was a kid (was not DX till my late 20's) they called people (present company included) "ret*d". I can't tell you how many people said this to me in elementary and middle school. I hated it so much. Now I know I am not anything other than neurodiverse. It seems like "autistic", now a trendy term, has replaced this old and extremely inappropriate name. Since I'm proud of my neurodiversity, this bothers me but I've been called names most of my life.

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 11:12 am

Autism is only a ability, not disability, even regardless its cons.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:42 pm

dis·a·bil·i·ty
/ˌdisəˈbilədē/
noun
a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

Autism is a neurological condition that limits my senses, ability to communicate, and social activities. So it is definitely a disability for me.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: