Page 5 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 2:27 am

Two answers to this one :
As regards to how I tick, on a scale of 1 to 18, with 10 being the threshold for the autism spectrum, I score 15. (the diagnostic toolset used by my assessor when i had the assessment as an adult last year)
As regards the level of impairment in significant life areas such as housing, employment, ability to sustain a close relationship, large social network etc, 1 out of 3, having held down a good job for 32 years and have my own place. Social and other relationships very small number - qualitity rather than quantity, and pure unstructured social interactions a high stress unsatisfying activity I leave to neutrotypicals while I find something more interesting to get on with.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:02 am

b9 wrote:
no worries. i doubt you understand empathy, but i understand you have learned social rules as have I, but i really feel no one else's pain and never did.
that's just life huh?
Their are too sides of empathy emotional and cognitive.

Do you understand your girlfriend or someone you know and want to make them happy?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:14 am

b9 wrote:
i said to the doctor "why do they laugh if they do not know what the joke is ?" and he said "laughter itself is funny" and i said "why? it is just a series of grunting sounds and a grimmace on their faces while they bounce their torsos".

humor can be seen as subversion of expectations, and laughter as the physical release of those subversions. not totally sure how it works, but i would like to know what gives it the contagious properties that seem to affect some.

i am able to "hide" my aspieness rather well, but i easily conform. i was diagnosed when i was 4 years old, so i have no idea of they still holds up today.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:31 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
b9 wrote:
i said to the doctor "why do they laugh if they do not know what the joke is ?" and he said "laughter itself is funny" and i said "why? it is just a series of grunting sounds and a grimmace on their faces while they bounce their torsos".

humor can be seen as subversion of expectations, and laughter as the physical release of those subversions. not totally sure how it works, but i would like to know what gives it the contagious properties that seem to affect some.

i am able to "hide" my aspieness rather well, but i easily conform. i was diagnosed when i was 4 years old, so i have no idea of they still holds up today.

funny things said in my opinion are funny, but simple unexplained laughter is not.
i also do not find many things funny that are said by other people.

one comedian who has the same sense of humor as i do is an australian comedian called "eliot goblet"
he thinks of things that are absurd in a similar fashion to me.
he is not an international sensation however because it takes a certain type of mind to perceive the humor.

here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFyXK2LCVs4

can't embed it sorry.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:39 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
b9 wrote:

A laugh is an involuntary reaction, and a contagious one because it is like a safety valve. Laughing means "This alarming situation is not dangerous (to me, now.)" Without it, a lot more tense situations would escalate. We enjoy the feeling of relief, and seek it out in situations where the only danger is a word trap or a story about danger.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:42 am

i do not do anything involuntarily except may for sneezing or coughing or retracting my finger from a hot surface.
laughing at nothing is what hyenas do

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:47 am

sorry but this is just so funny to my mind.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mfvgzF1ahU
i can not embed it.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:51 am

My approximate how-autistic-am-I is in my signature. Borrowing EzraS' example, I would be 4- 5...

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:24 am

b9 wrote:
i can not embed it.

I think he's pretty funny too. That's the most deadpan delivery I've seen; he makes Steven Wright look emotional, but he makes it work. Jokes are always very dependent on the way they are told; even though there are many ways, they have to be used with precision to get the maximum conflict and resolution in the brain. Woody Allen has a recording of advice where he tells us that after a successful career as a joke writer, getting big laughs from other writers and audiences, he tried standup with the same reading style and bombed. He had to establish a funny persona as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:40 am

I've been known to laugh just for the sake of laughing.

And I ain't no hyena!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:49 am

If I walk around remembering funny stories I look happy, and get much better reactions from the people I meet.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 9:08 am

Varies. Overall, it could be 5 to 6 "unrestrained". And I'm an aspie.
My intelligence, the lack of consequential issues like anxiety, the fact that I don't suffer from sensory overload, and the culture hides most of it enough to appear 2 to 4, even if I do not choose to "hide incompetence" or oddity.

But just because I'm more autistic, that doesn't mean less functioning... I just so happened to have lesser needs, so I end up with higher threshold and tolerance to "afford" it. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:42 pm

b9 wrote:
i can not embed it.

I do not understand the video as I am not native English language connected, I do not understand the words he is saying because he talks fast or in an accent I do not understand or whatever, which I guess must be funny, because elsewise I did not detect funny.
But it does not matter.
When it is funny to your mind, as you wrote, do you laugh about it?
If so is the laughing process voluntary?
Would an voluntary laughing process mean a conscious decision of the mind that something is funny and therefore a decision to perform certain spasms of the respiratore musculature?
I sometimes laugh about things and do it invontulary I guess, and sometimes I can start laughing about a memory just when walking down the street, and a day later I start laughing about it again and it keeps continuing that I start laugh about it, so I realized some time ago that people might find me crazy for just laughing walking by myself but I cannot help it.
But I don't care.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:48 pm

LOL...Sometimes, I laugh at myself in the street...at times about old memories.

I don't care what people think of me. I'm not harming anybody when I laugh.

Lost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2017, 5:58 pm

I'm not sure, I'm "high functioning" so I guess somewhere between 2 and 5.
It's hard to identify specific problems when you don't have a reliable point of reference to compare to. What I tolerate as normal for me could be seen as unusual by others if they could see how I live.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL...Sometimes, I laugh at myself in the street...at times about old memories.

I don't care what people think of me. I'm not harming anybody when I laugh.

In fact it happens quite often to me, my inside mind is very vivid and visual and eidetic (not hallucinatoric) and often more present than my outside-directed mind, outside-directed mind meaning directed to outside environment.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.