Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 5:50 am

iliketrees wrote:
How'd you two work this out?

Can't speak on EzraS's behalf, but the way I worked it out, I ran a quick comparison between commonly known autism/AS traits and how many of them I recognize in myself and scored it based on that.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 6:12 am

I used to believe that I am practically indistinguishable from NT, just a bit on the weird side. And that nobody will really notice anything unless they know what they are looking for. But recent events have told me otherwise. Perhaps I am more autistic than I previously imagined.

Last edited by 248RPA on 19 Mar 2017, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 8:12 am

It depends on the day. It ranges from 1-5, with small spurts of higher degrees of autism at inopportune times.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 8:32 am

... I don't like these kinds of topics. It can turn into who's-more-autistic-than-who competition things about who's more impaired therefore "really" autistic and so on. No thanks.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:24 am

iliketrees wrote:
whatamievendoing wrote:
EzraS wrote:
On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being severe, I'd say I'm a 7.

I'd put myself right around 3 or 4. Maybe even 2. Definitely not higher than 4, though.

How'd you two work this out?

On my part I look at the mild end of level 1 as a 1 and the severe end of level 3 as a 10. But of course it's more complicated than that. Many variables and so on. Maybe I'm closer to a 6. Just my personal way of gauging it for myself.

C2V wrote:
... I don't like these kinds of topics. It can turn into who's-more-autistic-than-who competition things about who's more impaired therefore "really" autistic and so on. No thanks.

I understand what you are saying and agree for the most part. But I will say that in my opinion in some ways more autistic is easier. I'm not expected to function well, so there is less struggle to be ordinary. Others don't have that luxury. They are forced to perform and compete despite their impairments and sensory difficulties etc.

Last edited by EzraS on 19 Mar 2017, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:31 am

I made my estimation based on my low level of intellect.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:35 am

JakeASD wrote:

And yet that does not seem to present itself in your writing, a lot of which I identify with. None of this with autism seems to make much sense does it?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:40 am

I have "WTF is wrong with you" autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:54 am

I don't see you as a person with a "low level of intellect," Jake.

I just don't see that in you.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:56 am

EzraS wrote:
JakeASD wrote:

And yet that does not seem to present itself in your writing, a lot of which I identify with. None of this with autism seems to make much sense does it?

Whilst I have had assurances that my IQ is not particularly low, I really do struggle to process information and seldom understand even the simplest of concepts.

Life is rather hard when both one's emotional and intellectual abilities are low, especially when it's quite difficult to recognise.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't see you as a person with a "low level of intellect," Jake.

I just don't see that in you.

Though that's kind of you to say, kraftie, I must respectfully disagree.

I have to use 'scripting' to communicate with other people. Whenever I need someone's help with something, I ordinarily begin my sentence with, "I am trying to ascertain how to....". It is embarrassing because I possess no verbal flexibility at all.

I often wonder if I am intellectually handicapped because I find my mind is remarkably blank most of the time. Though I do hold out hope that such absences of thought are related to anxiety and depression, I do fear that I will lose patience with myself if something doesn't change soon.

My father is so concerned that he has even offered to pay for me to be placed in a care home.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 2:16 pm

I am so close to neurotypical...yet so far.

A bit like the number 10 being a winning number on the lottery, and you get 9. It's the number next to 10 but you won't win squat because it's not the winning number at all.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2017, 5:05 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
I DO take offense to being called Mentally Ill, considering that I have invested a hell of a lot more time into research/studying things than the average 100 sheeple combined, plus the fact that my IQ now well-exceeds 140 in addition to my being multi-lingual.

Are you under the impression that being mentally ill involves a low IQ? I have depression and anxiety and so am mentally ill, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with my IQ level.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2017, 5:51 pm

Well if you saw me you would not think I was different. I may even have a short conversation with you when you use my checkout.
But if you tried to have any kind of proper conversation beyond small talk then you would realise something is up, I'm strange.

I've always been strange, my family knew but they never told me. Now that I've fully stopped caring about trying to fit in, my family thinks I have lost the plot.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

JakeASD wrote:
EzraS wrote:
JakeASD wrote:

Whilst I have had assurances that my IQ is not particularly low, I really do struggle to process information and seldom understand even the simplest of concepts.

Life is rather hard when both one's emotional and intellectual abilities are low, especially when it's quite difficult to recognise.

Pretty much the same with me. I think it's more a matter of cognitive processing impairments rather than intellect though. People who know me online tell me I am very intelligent. But when put to the test in real life I struggle greatly with simple things that come naturally easy for most.

Just ask my friend who I play what's considered to be an extremely easy online video game with. When he gets frustrated with trying to teach me simple concepts, he says that it's like talking to a wall. It doesn't register and or I forget. It's taken me over a year to finally start playing it the way it's supposed to be played.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 8:30 pm

I would put myself at a 2.5 out of 10. My sensory issues are the biggest issues. But I don't have any mental impairments at all. I'd actually consider myself above average in certain areas, but average in others.