Page 7 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

pretentious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2017, 5:00 am

Dear_one wrote:
pretentious wrote:

Dear_one wrote:
If you want my tips on marketing, they are very simple. Make the best product, without hurting your employees or their environment, and chase all the money boys out of Google, so that I can find You. OTOH, if I see an ad, I won't trust you.

Could you elaborate on not trusting ads? I haven't watched TV for like 5 years because I feel like I'm having an aneurism every time I see some people trying to push my buttons on a Coca cola ad. I've always struggled with marketing because I don't like lying and found the idea of giving people what they 'want' rather than need was a little sociopathic haha.

An ad says "I am going to try to distract you and convince you that you are unhappy because you don't have one particular specialty product. If you buy it, you will have to pay for bothering everyone who didn't get one. It isn't good enough for your friends to remark on it, it is just something I really want to sell you."

Yeah I resonate with this. The way they spin a narrative. You aren't good enough, here are some people who look like they have amazing lives for the next 30 seconds, here is a product we're trying to sell, join the dots.
Dear_one wrote:
So, now we get guerilla marketing, which is at least cheaper, designed to emulate normal word-of-mouth advertising. Your best bet to kick start a business might be to give product to the most popular, talkative people you can find who might use it. There's always a lot of luck involved. Spandex was symbiotic with many kinds of sports equipment.

yeah, In the words of Seth Godin, the mass market is dead. I don't really care about popularity. I want my thousand core fans.
Dear_one wrote:
Have you read Jerry Mander's "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television?" I've never owned a TV, but had an interesting experience at my mother's one day. I'd been off meditating, and hadn't seen a screen in years 'till I went home for a visit. Her TV was an "always on" feature, so I started watching while she got busy in the kitchen. The first few ads had me almost ROTFL, because I found the manipulation so blatant. Within half an hour, it had all retreated into my subconscious again.

I know it's a cleche. So much so that people often say, those who claim advertising doesn't work on them, are the most suseptable lol, But I just couldn't bare how on the nose and stupide tv ads were. I was face palming every 10 seconds and complaining to the people watching with me lol Same deal with billboards and other public advertising. I think people have just gotten used to it. If you're not familiar with it, you're like, wow, this isn't cool.
Dear_one wrote:
You would probably enjoy reading "Ogilvie on Advertising" - educational stories from an outstanding career, with tricks but no lies.

I'll look into it, cheers

LaetiBlabla wrote:
pretentious wrote:
I've been doing market research and trying to better understand people with autism. From people I've spoken to so far, Autism is experienced differently by most people and it's super hard to draw generalizations.
Do those of you with autism view yourself as a point on a spectrum compared to NT's? or do you take offense to a question like that being asked?

How NT are you compared to autism on a scale from 1 to 10? Because NT is also kind of a spectrum. :) Asking yourself this question could possibly help you to understand how your question is super hard to respond. (I hope I do not offense you.)

6. I am able to function in society without anyone really noticing things enough to comment. but I know for an absolute fact that I see the world in a funder-mentally different way than most people. Or 7, or 3 lol the world is a complicated place. FYI though, I'm leaning towards not asking people the question if I set up a survey.

Lost wrote:
I'm not sure, I'm "high functioning" so I guess somewhere between 2 and 5.
It's hard to identify specific problems when you don't have a reliable point of reference to compare to. What I tolerate as normal for me could be seen as unusual by others if they could see how I live.

The point of reference I kinda have in my head is, how closely do I act to 'normal' people in different situations. See, I can hang out with peeps and you would see no difference but it tires me out after a while. I think I have to exert more energy or something. I get tired chilling, because 'chilling' isn't really chilling, I'm close but not there.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 5:34 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Around a 6 autistic. I am able to verbalize myself well but I show all manner of other symptoms. I lean back on chair constantly, I don't commit to eye contact, struggle to get sarcasm, I ask very specific questions, discuss history and politics constantly and distract myself with some very odd habits.

According to this scale, I would be a 6 also.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 6:48 am

I still don't know how to answer this.

I've never been told I "don't seem autistic" or that they "can't tell", I've only had the opposite. I really struggle with communication, I definitely can't verbalise myself well, and it's incredibly frustrating. I have always had a lot of the symptoms, scoring high on the assessment tools. I struggle to connect to anyone, I don't have any friends (very glad that I prefer to keep to myself because I'd be incredibly lonely otherwise). I'm trying to make more eye contact but I still struggle with it. I am not creative or imaginative. I don't know what my emotions are, let alone those of others (so my empathy is s**t).

Probably missing some stuff. Based on that I assume I'd score quite high on some of your scales.

But I'm high functioning - I mean I assume so, anyway. I'm out by myself regularly and manage that just fine, I am aware of my surroundings. Some people on WP keep mentioning "executive function" but looking that up I'm pretty sure I'm completely fine in this area. That "when I talk, it isn't always easy for others to get a word in edgewise" is the complete opposite to me - I've never done the monologue/talking constantly thing. I think I notice sarcasm alright.

Again, probably things I'm missing. I assume those would significantly lower my score.

:shrug: