Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 3:58 pm

I have read that this is a pretty common thing with AS, and my 5 yr old son has started doing it. He didn't ask any questions at all until he was over 4 yrs old, and then he started with the repetitive question, For example: Is this my bathroom? He will ask me 25 times until I ask him to stop. He will also ask questions that he knows the answer to, for example: Is this a car? Is this car black, when he knows it is silver.

Just curious if any of you do or did this, and if you know what triggers or causes this. Was it just a phase, or do you still do it? Thanks so much!

AshtonWA
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2010, 4:01 pm

My 16 yo son does this, yes. Drives his dad nuts with it. I thought he was just trying to make small talk with his dad until we got the diagnosis. For my son, I think it's an anxiety response, or excitement response. He wants to talk about something but doesn't know how to really engage in a conversation, so he asks what an NT refers to as a silly question, one that he already knows the answer to.

AshtonWA
Aspergers Mom with 2 Autistic Boys

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:22 pm

It seems to go in cycles with my son, who is now 8. For a while he didn't ask any of these kinds of questions, but for the past couple of months Ive been asked, "Do you think Scotland will ever win the World Cup?" about a dozen times a day. :lol:

Actually, thinking about it as I type, he has never stopped asking the questions, it's more that I simply answer them automatically without thinking. :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:28 pm

I did it when I was little and because I know how annoying it is to be asked the same thing over and over, I refrain from doing it.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:49 pm

I did it when I was younger and still tend to do it to this day occasionally..

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 9:09 pm

Oh, I forgot about when he will ask me something that he knows is not true, and I will try to explain that it is not true, and he will say "Just say yes mom" Sometimes I just say yes so that he will leave me alone!! !!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 10:48 pm

I went to school with a girl who asks these types of questions. She was staying at my lady friend's house, and as I left, in order to wait for a call, from my gentleman friend, she asked me, "If we were all to die soon, would you like to go to Heaven?" I told her, that I would, being the religious person that I am. What kind of a question is that?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 10:53 pm

Ugh... my 3 year old daughter has started this.

"What's cat mean, Momma?"
"What's couch mean?"
"What's sock mean?"

She knows the answers to these questions, but when I answer her, she argues with me or just repeats herself. I swear before having children, I had the patience of a saint. :-X

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 3:02 am

angelbear wrote:
I have read that this is a pretty common thing with AS, and my 5 yr old son has started doing it. He didn't ask any questions at all until he was over 4 yrs old, and then he started with the repetitive question,

Is he your oldest child? I ask because it sounds usual to me - kids do that. They experiment socially and keep running the same experiment until they know all the possible outcomes, which can take a long time. And the focus of the experiment may have nothing at all to do with the question, so he probably has no interest in the colour of the car and every interest in your reaction to conversation.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 3:11 am

I think normal kids ask silly and repetitive questions too such as "Are we there yet?" "Why is the sky blue?"

As a child my mom would just tell me "Beth what did I say last time when we talked about it?" and on the road she would say to my brothers "Does it look like we're there yet?" when they ask if are we there yet. That set them straight. I can picture myself telling my own child
"If we were there yet, this car wouldn't be moving."

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 6:22 pm

He is my only child. League Girl, he has also asked me "Are we there yet," and I was so thrilled because it seemed like such a normal question for a little kid to ask. Something new I have started is when he asks me a question like is this a car? I will say, "What do you think?" And he will say yes.
Sometimes, I just tell him "I will answer you one more time, and that is it" I try to ignore him after that, but it is hard!

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2010, 6:53 pm

I do it from time to time.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 7:17 pm

I'm pretty sure all kids go through a stage where they do that.

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2010, 7:27 pm

StuartN wrote:
They experiment socially and keep running the same experiment until they know all the possible outcomes, which can take a long time. And the focus of the experiment may have nothing at all to do with the question, so he probably has no interest in the colour of the car and every interest in your reaction to conversation.

Makes sense.. to keep repeating and asking questions, if other things they have done one time is ok, but in another 'social' situation it is not ok.
If the rules keep changing, does a person keep trying to learn the new rules, or do they just back away and let the others play?

Thats how I read it for me.. if you meant different, sorry.

As for question asking, hell I still do it. Some things I can easy find the answer to by a simple google search - other times, like my big questions lately - I found this place.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 1:51 am

I ask my mom "are you mad at me?" at least several times everyday, even though I know that the answer is always "no". I can stop if I make a conscious effort to do so, but you know what they say - old habits die hard.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:15 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I ask my mom "are you mad at me?" at least several times everyday, even though I know that the answer is always "no". I can stop if I make a conscious effort to do so, but you know what they say - old habits die hard.

My daughter does this. "Are you mad at me?" "No" "Are you happy at me?" "Yes" "Are you mad at me?"

I'm wondering if she can't tell, or if it's just repetition.