Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2017, 2:39 am

"I think I understand just enough about the way other people think to know that the way I think is not the same"

There is a sort of contradiction in there for me in respect to Autism I'm trying to sort out.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 7:37 am

Well, there's the platform problem. You can only think about thought with thought.

moarjin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2017, 7:46 am

soloha wrote:
"I think I understand just enough about the way other people think to know that the way I think is not the same

If it was slightly altered it may make more sense?

"I believe I understand just enough about the way other people think, to know that the way I think, is not the same."

That works better for me.

NT: 54
RAADS-R: 186

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2017, 10:46 am

moarjin wrote:
soloha wrote:
"I think I understand just enough about the way other people think to know that the way I think is not the same

If it was slightly altered it may make more sense?

"I believe I understand just enough about the way other people think, to know that the way I think, is not the same."

That works better for me.

I can't seem to edit it :( Assume that's how it reads.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 12:02 pm

soloha wrote:
"I think I understand just enough about the way other people think to know that the way I think is not the same"

There is a sort of contradiction in there for me in respect to Autism I'm trying to sort out.

I find it bizarre that I don't think the same as other people , I still don't fully believe it.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 12:33 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I find it bizarre that I don't think the same as other people , I still don't fully believe it.

Why? Do their results come out the same? Even if that were the case, the computers we deal with daily will do the same thing for several different key combinations. However, assuming that one is normal is extremely common. Even Pedophiles go by their feelings instead of what logic and society tell them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 2:26 pm

I don't see anything wrong with the original version of the statement.

It may, or may not, be true that "most people think differently than me", but saying "I know just enough about how most people think to know that they think very differently from me" is not self contradictory.

If an English speaking American were to say "I understand just enough of Polish to know that its syntax is very different from English" no one would consider that self contradictory.

NTs themselves complain that NTs of the opposite sex think differently than they themselves think. Other folks might take issue with them, but no one considers the declaration that "I don't understand how the opposite sex thinks" to be self contradictory.

So go with your original statement.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 3:40 pm

Dear_one wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Why? Do their results come out the same? Even if that were the case, the computers we deal with daily will do the same thing for several different key combinations. However, assuming that one is normal is extremely common. Even Pedophiles go by their feelings instead of what logic and society tell them.

When it comes to thinking I've always thought our brains work the same except from some subtle differences hence why I thought I was normal for a long time until I had difficulties.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 4:14 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
When it comes to thinking I've always thought our brains work the same except from some subtle differences hence why I thought I was normal for a long time until I had difficulties.

One of the first clues I got was hearing some friends speculating on if they could safely break a rule I considered essential.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 6:24 pm

Dear_one wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

One of the first clues I got was hearing some friends speculating on if they could safely break a rule I considered essential.

I think that's where I probably started to lose my way when I tried to be like others ( the majority ) even when it didn't feel right.

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2017, 8:23 pm

Before I read the other responses, I'll give you my first impression of the statement.

There is a saying about being on the same wavelength, being in the same frame of mind, being on the same page with another person or group.

As a person gets older, patterns develop & we take notice.

Many times have realized I am not thinking the same as others -- this realization comes from their reaction to my responses, comments, actions, ... et cetera. When that realization occurs many times, in different situations, a broader cohesive idea develops -- that I do not think or understand the world the same as many others. Several professors have commented to me about my writing, interpretations, & ideas. Sometimes they say I have brought them very original ideas. Other times they tell me I am understanding the material completely opposite to how I should be understanding it ("exactly backwards" are the words one professor said many times).

Have been told they are never bored around me. Boredom comes from low stimulation. That must mean I stimulate their mind. Sometimes the stimulation they feel is negative (evidence by their angry or vitriol responses) & sometimes positive (evidence by their smile, laugh, or interestingly informative responses).

It can be deduced, from my experiences with many interactions, that I do not think in similar ways as the general population in the areas I have lived. The thoughts of others are revealed within their actions & comments. The chatty people are easier to compare myself to. If their words don't match up with my thoughts, then it can be assumed their thoughts processes/methods are different than mine.

My interpretation of the statement may evolve when I read other responses.