Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 7:13 am

But do people really have to put me down because of it? Twice recently on another forum I've had a difference of opinion with some other posters.It was thrown at me to discredit my opinion that I was being pedantic.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 8:38 am

I'm an analytical pedant. If something is not completely right it's completely wrong. I often feel it's my moral duty to point out someone's errors... just so they don't make the same mistake again and make a fool of themselves.
It's just the way I am, but nowadays I tend to keep it to myself.
If I ever get round to forming my Society of Pedantry, you can be a life member.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 8:44 am

I'm too dumb to be an 'analytical pedant' .

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 9:16 am

Trueno wrote:
I'm an analytical pedant. If something is not completely right it's completely wrong. I often feel it's my moral duty to point out someone's errors... just so they don't make the same mistake again and make a fool of themselves.
If I ever get round to forming my Society of Pedantry, you can be a life member.

Can I join the waiting list? :lol:

timf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 10:38 am

But do people really have to put me down because of it?

Some people use language to accurately describe truth and reality. Others use it of bully, annoy, and manipulate, still others use it to express emotional states. This can make communication difficult.

If someone declares you to be something like pedantic, it is unlikely to be because they have your best interest at heart and desire to help you improve your character. It is more likely that they are grabbing the nearest adjective to use as a cudgel and either drive you away, express their frustration, or perhaps both.

It can be helpful when one first hears discouraging words to first consider if what is said is true. Secondly one can be curious as to what motives someone to make pronouncements (accurate or otherwise) at all.

If you determine that a person is telling you you have some deficient characteristic, you might thank them for their input or translate it in your mind as them telling you that they have lost emotional control and are seeking to push others away.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 10:48 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Trueno wrote:

All WP'ers will get automatic honorary membership of my Society of Pedantry. Full membership will be granted if you handover loads of money.

More seriously, I don't know if this is relevant, but I find that many people assume I am expressing an opinion when I am actually stating a fact. If they dislike the "opinion" they take issue with me over the fact. I'm not actually interested in the "opinion" (a lot of the time)... it's a case of don't shoot the messenger.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 11:06 am

Trueno wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Trueno wrote:

All WP'ers will get automatic honorary membership of my Society of Pedantry. Full membership will be granted if you handover loads of money.

More seriously, I don't know if this is relevant, but I find that many people assume I am expressing an opinion when I am actually stating a fact. If they dislike the "opinion" they take issue with me over the fact. I'm not actually interested in the "opinion" (a lot of the time)... it's a case of don't shoot the messenger.

Yeah, it's exactly that kind of things that make (some) people think I'm pedantic. You shouldn't even be put in the position of having to explain the difference between objective fact and opinion, nevermind why you're not responsible for the first.

Another one is precision: weird as it seems, words do have a certain meaning and if you decide to attribute them a completely different one, people won't understand what you're saying. So shot me for thinking a minimum amount of precision in how you express yourself actually matters...

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 11:15 am

"Pedantic" is a word that's thrown around far too carelessly, usually by the willfully ignorant.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 1:42 pm

Not exactly a diagnostic trait of aspergers, but pretty close: aspies are known for "overly formal speech", monologuing, obsession with facts, and taking things literally. All of which would tend to lead to being pedantic.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2019, 7:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Not exactly a diagnostic trait of aspergers, but pretty close: aspies are known for "overly formal speech", monologuing, obsession with facts, and taking things literally. All of which would tend to lead to being pedantic.

Sigh. I resemble that remark. :wink:

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 8:01 am

Erm... I 've just provided a good example of my errant pedantry on the recent Metaphor thread.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2019, 12:45 pm

I don't consider it a problem; quite the opposite. I wish more people appreciated the difference between fact and opinion like we do. I observe many of them using language carelessly and professing different sets of ideas that vary according to their moods. Why they find this acceptable, I will never know. I rarely say things I don't mean.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 7:38 pm

Long live the pedantry! It doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't derail the main discussion.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 8:24 pm

Sometimes I have the same problem, sometimes I don't. Sometimes my problems the opposite of it.

Uhh... :oops: It doesn't help that the usage of verbal medium isn't my strongest suit.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Ants
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2019, 11:16 am

firemonkey wrote:
But do people really have to put me down because of it? Twice recently on another forum I've had a difference of opinion with some other posters.It was thrown at me to discredit my opinion that I was being pedantic.

Mate, I get called 'argumentative' because I am pedantic. When somebody is telling me something I like to interject and get the finer details and often try to get semantic clarification. I think the nature of these exchanges is frustrating for some people and they see me as being 'difficult'.
Only this morning I was trying to get my head around why a colleague had bought plain Hob Nobs and not chocolate Hob Nobs. Naturally I was asking her some pretty unnecessary questions; does she like chocolate? yes, was purchasing chocolate Hob Nobs an option? yes. And another colleague pipes up to the effect of 'ohh isn't Antony argumentative'. Not so, well not entirely so. But I am some what pedantic and I wear it like a badge.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm

^
I love chocolate but prefer my biscuits without chocolate, it's not uncommon *shrug*