Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Sep 2019, 11:43 pm

In my life, I found that, as an outcast, disliked, shunned individual, I had to make up lies to get what I needed or wanted. Otherwise, the answer would always be no.

Now I'm facing a sibling who calls me a liar and i'm having trouble explaining why otherwise is impossible.

Does anybody else experience life like this?

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 12:19 pm

Sounds like you're having to tell people what they want to hear, because you're punished for telling the truth. Yes, my family situation is a bit that way. I try to avoid outright lies, but get forced into a lot of vague semi-agreements.

Certain lies are expected by society. ("How are you? I'm fine.") It's considered appropriate etiquette to tell polite half-truths, and conveniently fail to mention the other half, so as not to offend.

All of this is difficult, because autistics by nature prefer simple honesty.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 12:47 pm

Another irony: for me, a job interview would require major lying. (I'm totally qualified to do this job! I have excellent phone skills, and multi-tasking ability! And a bubbly personality! I'm the flexible, easy-going, socially adept employee you're looking for! With no chronic health issues whatsoever!)

Yes, I've been caught in that lie before. And my employers have been furious.

But as to your original question - absolutely, that's a case where I felt I was forced to tell a lie, in order to get what I needed, or wanted. Which was a job, and a roof over my head, and being a self-sufficient member of society.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 3:26 pm

I have been torqued into lying to protect a friend's minor mistake, but I've generally been more honest to my employers than they have been with me, except in cases where I've been jollied along into thinking something could get done fast and cheap.
I understand that in general, the higher one goes on the wealth scale, the more hollow and fake the people feel inside.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm

Claradoon wrote:
Now I'm facing a sibling who calls me a liar and i'm having trouble explaining why otherwise is impossible.

I am not sure. If the sibling has Aspie or HFA symptoms then YES it is very problematic. Many Aspies have a pattern of black and white thinking. If you are caught in a lie, then they might consider that you betrayed them and everything that you might tell them in the future might be suspect.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 5:53 pm

Not helpful for you, but using this post to think, and maybe it would be helpful.

I consider myself naïve and honest. And yet, my life has been a lie: I have not been assertive. So perhaps differently but I lied to my "tormenters" (my mom and sister), to protect myself? As an adult, my sister asked "why are you walking ahead?" and my answer was a lie "oh, I just want to get there" instead of the truth (at the time) "I am steeling myself to walk into an emotionally overwhelming situation and I am afraid you would ridicule me". I am becoming a bit more assertive and my relationship is shifting but still the lie of omission can be easier.

So I guess I should cross off my Aspie symptom list: honest. :wink: In fact, in doing these self-assessments it's interesting to see how much I "lied" to myself. I am sooooo social. Yeah, I am as social as a paperclip is to a clamp.