heavey worlders and do you Sink or swim

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 12:19 pm

this is a totally off topic but had notive between my non verbal and myselfs . in ability to float in a swimming pool from my, our previous experinces . this was not ability seenin my other NT siblings.
had found the experience of being able to sit at the bottom of a 12 ft deep swim pool , in ground , at its lowest point at it drain . Gave me cause to exercise breathe contol . am realizing thisis a hereditary thing by seeing my non verbal sister nearly drown in shallow water. was wondering if anyone else had thebopportunity to bserve such things.. it would go hand in hand with the idea of a autistic preson being more dense of a molecular basis ? opinions ideas this was a repeatable event , under all conndiditions had observed with myself

where ever you go ,there you are

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 6:53 am

I once assured my friends that people always float. I exhaled, lifted my feet, and promptly sank. At 12' deep, the air in your lungs is compressed enough to make a difference, but most people will still float if they started with a full breath.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Apr 2020, 7:02 am

Whether you sink or swim depends on things like your body fat content, the size of your lungs, and whether you find it easy to empty your lungs. If you are very lean and find it easy to relax and empty your lungs (although lungs are never truly empty) then you will find it easy to sink.

Personally I preferred to take a deep breath and float on the surface.

The same rules apply to autistic and allistic people.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 10:52 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Whether you sink or swim depends on things like your body fat content, the size of your lungs, and whether you find it easy to empty your lungs. If you are very lean and find it easy to relax and empty your lungs (although lungs are never truly empty) then you will find it easy to sink.

You write in such absolutes as to appear quite contrary...and btw
do not care to engage you in a difference of opinion . TYVM.

seems we have a difference of personal experience here .
used all my breath to stay under for 2 minutes after practice . just sitting in lotus position , On the bottom of the pool ,as time passed would let out small amounts of air over time, in order to extend my stay .. On other occassion witnessed my younger sister doing same in water that was just inches above her head, it was apparent to me that
She was standing in water that was just inch above her head. Realized had never seen her do this and knowing that her neural sensory processing disorder was more serious than my own , assumed she needed to be rescued , She did not surface on her own.
This writing merely depicts my own personal experience nor was i attempting to generalise my opinion, was merely curious if, anyone else had these experiences .

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 12:50 am

Damnest thing I ever heard.^

I can hold my head under water in a swimming pool, and can open my eyes. And for a split second something about the green water filtering the bright summer sun light can put you into a blissful meditative state. But after five seconds I start gasping for air and have to surface. Wish I could just sit on the bottom of the pool like that. No way in hell can I though.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Apr 2020, 3:27 am

Jakki wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

used all my breath to stay under for 2 minutes after practice . just sitting in lotus position , On the bottom of the pool ,as time passed would let out small amounts of air over time, in order to extend my stay .. On other occassion witnessed my younger sister doing same in water that was just inches above her head, it was apparent to me that
She was standing in water that was just inch above her head. Realized had never seen her do this and knowing that her neural sensory processing disorder was more serious than my own , assumed she needed to be rescued , She did not surface on her own.
This writing merely depicts my own personal experience nor was i attempting to generalise my opinion, was merely curious if, anyone else had these experiences .

I wasn’t attempting to suggest you were wrong, I just posted a bit about the mechanics of human density and gave my own opinion about whether I prefer floating or sinking. I don’t understand why I’ve received such a hostile response to an innocent post.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 11:28 am

my reponse to you was indicated in the very beginnig of my reply to your ^
post...^ my response to your writing,
...... ie.( the same rules apply to Allistic aswell as NT)

welll obviously my stating the difference between myself and my other NT siblings
does not falll under the parameters of the rule you spoke of. Declaration of such a rule , would absolutely negate physical probabiilty (thus appearing that your intent could easily be taken as contrary.)
of my experience ... ( not a nice thing to feel coming from someone , i do not know.) Nor familiar with my RL experiences .
Possibly just a bad choice of words in that case? no hostility intended. :)

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2020, 6:32 pm

I naturally sink. I have never been able to stay afloat in water.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 6:59 pm

I sink, first my feet, then the rest of me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 7:24 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Jakki wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I wasn’t attempting to suggest you were wrong, I just posted a bit about the mechanics of human density and gave my own opinion about whether I prefer floating or sinking. I don’t understand why I’ve received such a hostile response to an innocent post.

Not gonna lie, I've picked up on the same vibe as Jakki describes from your posts at times over the years. I don't think it's intentional necessarily, I also don't believe that I don't share a tendency to word things similarly, but depending on the reader and how they feel at the moment it might lead to more hostile or defensive responses than anticipated, as well as people just not bothering (no matter whether it's you, me, Ezra, Pepe, goldfish, whoever it is being perceived that way).

That said, since it's a trait that a lot of us possess, perhaps greater tolerance when we perceive a poster is showing this attitude is a significant part of the solution, if it's mostly not intentional just insisting posters all be more careful probably isn't a solution. Everyone becoming too anxious to post for fear of being perceived this way really wouldn't achieve anything positive. :|

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 10:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Jakki wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Not gonna lie, I've picked up on the same vibe as Jakki describes from your posts at times over the years. I don't think it's intentional necessarily, I also don't believe that I don't share a tendency to word things similarly, but depending on the reader and how they feel at the moment it might lead to more hostile or defensive responses than anticipated, as well as people just not bothering (no matter whether it's you, me, Ezra, Pepe, goldfish, whoever it is being perceived that way).

That said, since it's a trait that a lot of us possess, perhaps greater tolerance when we perceive a poster is showing this attitude is a significant part of the solution, if it's mostly not intentional just insisting posters all be more careful probably isn't a solution. Everyone becoming too anxious to post for fear of being perceived this way really wouldn't achieve anything positive. :|

thank you .......

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 10:48 pm

thank you for you allz responses.... glad to know is not just me and my sister ..mum spent hours on me when i was little in that pool , as i got older she insisted , i learn the deadmans float . told me it could save my life ... guess , she was wrong and was never able to do it . After getting over the fear of that and seeing other older siblings NT , swim underwater in that pool , whole new world opened up of being underwater , went onto learn SCUBA diving later on. But affording my own equipment eventually
ended that , plus did not like the idea of long term use and possibility of ending up with nitrogen bubbles in my blood . One of my better memories of those times was sitting on the bottom and looking through the water up into the sky above the pool .
Just try talking to a doctor about not being bouyant enough to float. or not ever hardly having a apetite at 16 yrs old , just do not get hungry that and the floating and you get looked at like you escaped from an asylum.. :roll:

still gotta wonder if neural fiber ,general density , could a thing .And if somehow, might be connected ?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:03 pm

Jakki wrote:
thank you for you allz responses.... glad to know is not just me and my sister ..mum spent hours on me when i was little in that pool , as i got older she insisted , i learn the deadmans float . told me it could save my life ... guess , she was wrong and was never able to do it . After getting over the fear of that and seeing other older siblings NT , swim underwater in that pool , whole new world opened up of being underwater , went onto learn SCUBA diving later on. But affording my own equipment eventually
ended that , plus did not like the idea of long term use and possibility of ending up with nitrogen bubbles in my blood . One of my better memories of those times was sitting on the bottom and looking through the water up into the sky above the pool .
Just try talking to a doctor about not being bouyant enough to float. or not ever hardly having a apetite at 16 yrs old , just do not get hungry that and the floating and you get looked at like you escaped from an asylum.. :roll:

still gotta wonder if neural fiber ,general density , could a thing .And if somehow, might be connected ?

I don't imagine enough of our mass is from neural fibres for that to be a significant factor. Most of our volume is filled with mild saline or air or bone, and all three are slightly less dense than fresh water.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:23 pm

wants all deceased aspies biopsied to discern neural density :twisted:
Rumour has it Aspie brains have higher density of neural fibers,
? ....or wired more densely .. if such is so then why not the entire
anatomy ... Some clinic uber many years ago offered a live blood cell analyses
As a way to get patients in the door, was a new clinic ..Test was cheap then.
Was only 18 yrs old , she stated after close microscopic analyses
My blood density resembled that of a 80 yr old , Never forgot that .
This stuff makes me curious .?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:43 pm

Jakki wrote:
wants all deceased aspies biopsied to discern neural density :twisted:
Rumour has it Aspie brains have higher density of neural fibers,
? ....or wired more densely .. if such is so then why not the entire
anatomy ... Some clinic uber many years ago offered a live blood cell analyses
As a way to get patients in the door, was a new clinic ..Test was cheap then.
Was only 18 yrs old , she stated after close microscopic analyses
My blood density resembled that of a 80 yr old , Never forgot that .
This stuff makes me curious .?

It's still mostly salty water, so when they talk about differences in density, it's not enough to be relevant to your question. It would need to be an order of magnitude in difference, and we're probably not comprised of more lead and other heavy metals than the average person, no matter how much I would love to be able to tell people I'm 60% water and 5% heavy metal.