Page 2 of 28 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:02 am

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be rich. I can't remember having any exact career choice I really wanted when I was little, though, which means the earliest career choice I can remember is from my teen years, which was entrepreneur.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:11 am

As a child I wanted to be a journalist.when I was a teenager I became interested in foreign languages and tried to become a teacher but my grades werent high enough and I ended up studying to become an it.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 2:11 pm

Kaybee wrote:
Moog wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
I wanted to be an ichthyologist because of my love of sharks.

I have a terrible itch perhaps you could look at? :-P

Depends. Is it somewhere exciting?

And the "ch" is pronounced like a "k." :-P

My ich is in an icky location, I shouldn't elaborate further.

No sharks down there, though.

To bring this back on topic; I have not grown up yet, so I can still answer the OP question; I have a vague idea of being a counsellor or therapist, but I worry I'd make people worse. My current career is being a bum, the pay is poor, but the hours are good.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 6:44 pm

Moog wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
Moog wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

To bring this back on topic; I have not grown up yet, so I can still answer the OP question; I have a vague idea of being a counsellor or therapist, but I worry I'd make people worse. My current career is being a bum, the pay is poor, but the hours are good.

I get the impression you could make quite a good counselor.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 10:56 pm

Moog wrote:
My current career is being a bum, the pay is poor, but the hours are good.

a novelist [whose name escapes me now] said "the worst thing about being poor is that it takes up all your time."

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Moog wrote:
My current career is being a bum, the pay is poor, but the hours are good.

a novelist [whose name escapes me now] said "the worst thing about being poor is that it takes up all your time."

I think it was the painter Kooning.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 3:17 am

Kaybee wrote:
Moog wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
Moog wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

I get the impression you could make quite a good counselor.

You are sweet :-)

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:21 am

I wanted to move out and live alone and be a bartender in Maine. Not sure where the Maine thing came from. Ah well.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 6:35 pm

sluice wrote:
and where did the idea for it come from?

I thought I wanted to be an astronaut/astronomer. I am not sure where it came from
but I can remember trying to build my own telescope because we didn't have the extra
money to buy one. It didn't really work all that well. I am not sure where my idea came from
because I was the only kid in my neighborhood thinking that way and no one in my family
were scientists. The only other thing I considered for a period was paleontology and I think
every kid goes through one of those phases.

Did anyone actually become what they thought they wanted to be as a kid? That would be cool.

Me too!! Astronomy or archaeology! I couldn't do either because I couldn't afford that much college!! I got a jiffy education at a community college and went right to work for a company at entry level as a administrative clerk. I still enjoy my telescope, astronomy magazines, and the discovery channel along with public television. So, it's still in my world.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 10:59 am

The first job I felt attracted to was lighthouse keeper, which is odd, because I later had a lot of worries about cabin fever. After primary school, all my friends went to the tech high school, but my parents pressured me into going to the academic one, so I had thoughts about becoming a shop teacher. I have a friend who is now retiring from that, and I've helped him in class. I don't think I could have handled the constant interruptions.
My overriding life plan was to help change the course of history, to avoid a nuclear war. I got kicked out of home at 17, since my parents had divorced, and no longer cared about appearances. I did silversmithing for a while - I worked 14 hour days for months before I noticed that I'd gotten so absorbed. Then I volunteered for a group that was offering free meditation lessons until I was 27, and it had turned into a cult.
I decided that designing Human Powered Vehicles was the best way to express the range of my talents, and went to the library to learn the relevant engineering. My first prototype was a great success, with many innovations, and I expected it to attract business partners. Lots of potential customers showed up, but the partners just wasted my time and drove me crazy. I got sidetracked into pedal boats, again winning prizes, but I realized that my work was not actually saving any oil.
Now, I'm on government assistance, but thinking of a very small business making a low-demand tool. I can't afford a patent, but I might not get ripped off if I'm just in a niche market. Mostly, I enjoy working with someone who shares enthusiasm for the job, but that has been rare. The best gig that way was doing massage. People loved my work, and it didn't interfere with my other thinking. I was working at a big spa, which kept it simple for me.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 5:07 pm

to "dear one" : did you ever do a clip on foxtel with a girl called angela? you look very similar to someone i saw who was riding a high tech bike long distances.

maybe not, but you look very similar.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 7:13 pm

Biologist

Then Classical Archaeologist

Then MAYBE Forest Ranger

Actually Comparative Linguist

Now ALMOST Hermit

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 11:03 pm

Philologos wrote:
Then MAYBE Forest Ranger

A book called Dharma Bums once inspired me to want to be a forest ranger (a character spends some months as a fire lookout). I decided against it when I discovered that I wouldn't be free to simply live in a cabin on a mountain.

Draax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2010, 3:26 am

aside from the ubiquitous paleontologist, when i was a kid i wanted to be a soldier. more specifically i wanted to be a tank commander. but after breaking my knee-cap when i was 16, i developed arthritis and was not eligible for military service (its worth noting that i was accepted into west point until they got my medical information). fast forward 12 years and i now have arthritis in both knees and an arm the easliy dislocates itself; there is no way in hell im getting into the service unless im drafted.
now i have a wonderful 8 year long career as a DISHWASHER, and am even now trying to get my foot in the door as a welder, something i have the skills for, and the training, but have no idea how to do it; everyone wants someone with experience and i dont have any.
my current dream job would be to open up my own arcade, an old school arcade; im sure most of you know what im talking about, with Battletech as the centerpeice of the enterprise. but ive been running over the numbers and i dont think it would work (overhead vs. income); arcades are dead for a reason, after all.

Igor
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2010, 3:30 am

First thing I wanted to be was a Fire Fighter (I did like fire - bit disturbing, I know :wink: ).

Then it was Computer Programmer - remembering that this dates back to the days when computers filled a room and a PC was just a dream. No idea why (perhaps my nerdiness coming out early :D ) though the idea came from a friend of my mum's, who's husband did something with computers.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 4:29 am

i wanted to be a horseback riding teacher...not sure how you say that in english, correct me if needed...where di that go??