Page 7 of 28 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:15 pm

sluice wrote:
What did you want to be as a kid?

Loved.
sluice wrote:
Where did the idea for it come from?

The realization that everyone I knew then wanted me to be somebody else.
sluice wrote:
Did anyone actually become what they thought they wanted to be as a kid?

Yes, for the most part. My wife loves me, and so do our kids. The neighbors think I'm weird, the people at church think I'm mentally ill, and my co-workers put up with my eccentricities because my efforts and ideas have impressed our customers many times.

But my wife and kids love me. :D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

I've never had any strong desire to be anything in particular. My best subjects at high school were art and biology. My parents thought that art could be a hobby and I'd be more likely to find a job as a biologist. I took their advice (wrong decision) and studied microbiology, still not knowing what I actually wanted be. I then did a post-grad in environmental monitoring, still not sure. A work placement was part of the course and I was kept on as employee afterwards, but I ended up with an admin role in the organisation. I eventually found my niche in database design, within the same organisation. I'm now a stay at home mum and have returned to art and hope to make a career out of it some day. But, honestly, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2011, 3:38 pm

I wanted to be a comic book artist but as my tremors grew I realized I couldnt draw.
I than wanted to be a comic book writer and am still working on that. I now work at a comic book shop 2 or 3 times a week.

AdamFrancis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2011, 9:05 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I'm now a stay at home mum and have returned to art and hope to make a career out of it some day.

What is Your field of art, if I may ask? What are You making or doing? :)

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

AdamFrancis wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I'm now a stay at home mum and have returned to art and hope to make a career out of it some day.

Painting, with acrylics, mainly landscapes. I like to draw with pencil as well.

AdamFrancis

25 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
AdamFrancis wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

That is great! Do You have some page one could see Your things? Do You share in the "art forum" on WP?

I am aspiring designer, but unfortunately I cannot draw i.e. comunicate my ideas very well. And I have about 3 days to the end of term and still haven't finish all my compulsory works, I am ashamed :wink:

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

AdamFrancis wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
AdamFrancis wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

That is great! Do You have some page one could see Your things? Do You share in the "art forum" on WP?

I am aspiring designer, but unfortunately I cannot draw i.e. comunicate my ideas very well. And I have about 3 days to the end of term and still haven't finish all my compulsory works, I am ashamed :wink:

Hi

I don't have a lot of finished works as yet, I'm still in the very early stages. My stuff, although based on real images, has a sort surreal quality, due to the colour.

Hope you finish your work in time.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

I've got a funny story here actually. When I was in preschool (age 4 I think) one day I was playing in the sandbox, and the teacher came by with a clipboard. She asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was perfectly happy with the sandbox, enjoying the texture of the sand, just digging around with my fingers, so I responded "a dirt digger." Then she smiled, wrote something down, and walked away. I didn't think anything of it. Then, at the end of the year when graduation came around, each of us were called up to the podium to be given our diploma and the teacher read out what we wanted to be when we grew up. Each of the children had something standard read out: "This is billy, and he wants to be an astronaut!" Applause and smiles from the crowd of parents. I had no idea where the jobs were coming from and I thought nothing of it. Then they called me up. My parents still have the video. I walk up, take my diploma, smile at the wall, and then the teacher tells everyone I want to be a dirt digger. The camera starts shaking, and the whole room fills with unbearably loud laughter from the whole crowd of parents. I didn't understand why they were all laughing at me, but I knew I didn't like it. My family still laughs about it to this day and insists that I was "too young" to have been hurt by a room full of people laughing at me.

Later I wanted to be a scientist, then an archaeologist (which my family took to mean I was becoming a dirt digger after all, and the jokes were renewed), then I went through a long period where I had no idea, then a standup comedian, then a GIS expert (I have an obsession with maps). Finally I became a teacher.

AdamFrancis

26 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

[quote="kotshka"][/quote]

That is cute story, Kotshitshko :lol: .

AdamFrancis

26 Jun 2011, 2:23 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
AdamFrancis wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
AdamFrancis wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

Hi

I don't have a lot of finished works as yet, I'm still in the very early stages. My stuff, although based on real images, has a sort surreal quality, due to the colour.

Hope you finish your work in time.

I do not think it is physically possible, but thank You, I'll try.

Still would like to see something of Yours, so I hope You'll share something on forum maybe later or so :-).

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 2:32 pm

AdamFrancis wrote:
That is cute story, Kotshitshko :lol: .

Diky. :)

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 2:58 am

I think first I wanted to be a boy. Then I wanted to be a Entomologist because I was obsessed with ants. I would sit and watch ants all day and typically would end up with a lot of them in my clothes "ants in my pants"....I got bit a lot but I still loved to watch them. I loved when I would come across an entire ant colony moving, that was very exciting and could keep me enthralled all day. My Mother refused to buy me an ant farm which I begged for every year for my birthday and Christmas. Then I wanted to be a doctor but like Sparrowrose, teachers and my parents told me that you had to be really smart do be a doctor so I assumed I was obviously too stupid which makes me angry now because I know that I could have been a great doctor. I wish someone would have encouraged me when I was a child instead of squashing my self esteem. I did work in the medical field but I didnt get too far, I did enjoy most of it though, especially working in the hospital. Medical Assisting and Phlebotomy (my favorite) was as far as I went. I had children and I was darn good at that so I became obsessed with having children and wanted to be a midwife for many years, had my two first daughters at home. I was all into herbs (tea and healing herbs people, not the other kind :P) and being vegetarian (actually, I went back to being a veg), like a hippie, earth Mother :D .
Now I just want to be a writer. Still not ready to seek out a publishing agent but I have three "books" nearly finished. Maybe when I get my disease (ankylosing spondylitis) under control.
I dont think we should ever stop dreaming. If we have not achieved our dreams or desires yet, like my has husband who is a research scientist and a genetics professor, we can still keep trying no matter how old we become.

Also, I still love to watch ants :D !

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:15 am

Oh my god yes, I was always obsessed with ants too! I had encyclopedic knowledge of them. I loved watching them and I used to play SimAnt all the time on our SNES so I could design their little colonies. I would plan out new colonies in my notebook at school and always got mad when the computer-controlled ants messed up my designs. I wanted an ant farm for years too, and finally my mom broke down and got me one, but she wouldn't let me send away for ants for it because she didn't want to pay the shipping cost, so she sent me out into the yard to get my own. Unfortunately the ants in my area were all too small and they escaped through the air holes pretty quickly, so I never got a functioning ant farm... :( I suppose I could get one now, but I don't think they have them in this country and it'd probably be illegal to ship ants through the post...

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2011, 8:37 am

liloleme said:
I think first I wanted to be a boy.

Definetely me. It took until puberty to have any appreciation for being a girl, and then I was faced with all of those unpleasant biological bits. The first career aspiration I had was to be a jockey. As I've mentioned before, I was completely obsessed with horses, especially racehorses. I was going to be small enough, too. My parents were set against it though; they were Baptist and thought the gambling was sinful and it wasn't an appropriate career for a young lady. I think my dad really wanted me to grow up to be June Cleaver.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:43 am

Quote:
What did you want to be as a kid

me.

waterbender
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2011, 8:04 pm

I wanted to be an archaeologist or a teacher. But I had an insane teacher who said I could never be those things and, also had the other kids in the class raise their hands to volunteer other things I couldn't be because I was too stupid. One I remember in particular was that I couldn't be a teacher because I would have a bad effect on children. I didn't understand this because I was a very shy girl. I remember putting my head down on the desk and thinking that they were all right.

Well, I eventually (way eventually) I became a teacher, and a professor. My BS was in anthropology, and I'm working on my doctorate now, though it is slow going. I guess my moral is anything's possible and never give up. Though I will be 90 when I can finally be called doctor.