Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 2:14 pm

One Christmas some of my other's Christmas tree ornaments got broken and she got very upset about it, I tried to express how confused I was because whenever something of mine got lost of broken my mom would say, "It's just an object" she tried to justify her reaction to having her ornament broken by claiming that she said that because I was "so materialistic" when I was younger.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 2:21 pm

I think that's a 'child' thing, not an 'autistic' thing.

I'm not materialistic at all. In fact, whilst I value my technology I otherwise crave a very simple life. I want to work just enough to earn what I need to get by, because free time and family are the most important things.

But, of course children will be upset about their things being lost or broken. I had a bouncy ball that I was very attached to - I still remember it and feel disappointed about the loss more than two decades on, because I remember that it meant a lot to that younger version of me.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 4:36 pm

I am extremely materialistic.
I would say its more of a personality thing than an age thing.
I think autistics are mostly either in the "very materialistic" or "not at all materialistic" rather than a "sort of materialistic"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 4:43 pm

I miss being lower middle-class so I didn't have to struggle with bills and such.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

Let's go to a conversation my mother had with a Christian missionary. This woman (the missionary) went to an African country (I believe Uganda, as that seems to be a prime destination). Apparently the Christians there "pray for us", because we're so materialistic and some of them think of us as never being happy. I also know a girl who went to Haiti for a missionary trip and said the children there were happier, but in much poorer conditions.

Anyway, it depends on the individual, I'd say.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 8:24 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
Let's go to a conversation my mother had with a Christian missionary. This woman (the missionary) went to an African country (I believe Uganda, as that seems to be a prime destination). Apparently the Christians there "pray for us", because we're so materialistic and some of them think of us as never being happy. I also know a girl who went to Haiti for a missionary trip and said the children there were happier, but in much poorer conditions.

Anyway, it depends on the individual, I'd say.

So how does this apply to autistics?

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 8:26 pm

I was adding on to what auntblabby had to say. You can draw your own conclusions from it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
I was adding on to what auntblabby had to say. You can draw your own conclusions from it.

I have lived in "genteel poverty" for about a decade now, since I lost my civil service job. I was just saying it would be easier if I didn't have to skimp and scrape to pay bills.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

I have lived in "genteel poverty" for about a decade now, since I lost my civil service job. I was just saying it would be easier if I didn't have to skimp and scrape to pay bills.

I actually interpreted that wrong. Klutzy mind of mine. I for some reason thought that you said you wished you were barely surviving, monetary wise. That conversation immediately came back to me. It's all a misunderstanding. I wish you the best.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 8:35 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

I actually interpreted that wrong. Klutzy mind of mine. I for some reason thought that you said you wished you were barely surviving, monetary wise. That conversation immediately came back to me. It's all a misunderstanding. I wish you the best.

you are not alone, I misconstrue people also, auditory processing disorder and all that. :help:

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2017, 8:45 pm

I'm not sure if materialistic is the right kind of word. Maybe the thing is more about getting attached in general. Both to others and to things.
For me, even more to people I love the most and my pets. Not that I'm clingy, it's more that if they leave me and never return, I can't bear it, I'm mentally destroyed. People around me tell me that I have too much attachment to people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 8:59 pm

^^^ I don't know if this is a basic temperament thing or not, but at least some people find it relatively easy to not get attached to other people or animals. I am one of those. but if somebody took away my musics, i'd get real down real quicklike.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2017, 3:30 am

I don't think I am. I never want the latest gadgets (I don't even own a mobile phone), I don't care about brands (unless a particular brand is well built or engineered), I shop for clothes as little as possible and couldn't care less about fashion (a pair of jeans and a few t-shirts once a year. I buy underwear and socks when they fall apart :) ). I do, however, collect things: dvds, blu-rays, cds and buy decent quality, but not excessively expensive, equipment on which to watch and listen to them. So, I guess that I'm only materialistic as far as my special interests are concerned. My parents on the other hand, always seem to follow fashion and get the latest thing, which really irritates me!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 3:33 am

For me, all of my possessions are of great value. I keep my things tidy, clean and in good shape, regardless of actual value (in money).

citoyenlambda
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2017, 3:36 am

I used to be, but I am not anymore. I rarely spend any money except on things I need.

I checked myself out of the consumerist society and I have no words to describe how good that feels.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 3:51 am

luxuries are always appreciated, got paid $50 to test drive a '17 Honda CRV and dearly wished I could afford such a cushy nice car.