Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2018, 5:01 pm

They called me "Brainy Smurf" in high school. I was expected to become a doctor or lawyer or something like that. But through college and work, things never really came together for me, and my life has been far less successful than that. I'm not homeless or in danger of becoming homeless, but I've achieved far less then everyone always thought I would, and its the main reason I skip high school class reunions.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 5:05 pm

I skip class reunions as well. I don't want my ignorant peers to know that I'm unemployed at the moment. The unemployed hippie-mod.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 5:07 pm

I hated high school so much that on the last day of school (to this day one of the happiest days of my life) I vowed never to set foot on the property again.

I've had no interest to attend a HS reunion and I never have. Do I regret never having attended one? No, I'm blissful about it.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2018, 5:09 pm

Magna wrote:
I hated high school so much that on the last day of school (to this day one of the happiest days of my life) I vowed never to set foot on the property again.

I've had no interest to attend a HS reunion and I never have. Do I regret never having attended one? No, I'm blissful about it.

My HS experience was less than happy as well.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2018, 5:52 pm

Whenever I hear of another tragic event at a high school, I just think "there, but for the grace of God, go I." I am very happy that I didn't "snap" from the torture of going to middle- and high-school, but there is no effing way that I ever would consider for one millisecond the idea of going to a reunion. No way.

In fact, several years after high school I legally changed my name, which was essentially a symbolic divorce with that dark past. There are two things I am very thankful for in my life today. One is that I didn't commit suicide at that low point in my life. The other is that I didn't snap and blow up the effing high school. People are right, that things get better as we get older. Yet people also are right, when they observe that a lot of people are just as big of pricks as they were in high school. Some people grow up, and some do not.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 7:11 pm

I didn't go because I didn't feel successful enough.

I did, however attend a special event sponsored by my old high school, and really enjoyed it. I had misgivings at first because I didn't feel as though I accomplished much in my life, but I'm glad I went.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 7:52 pm

I was exposed to bullying during Junior High School. I actually liked High School. I went to my 50th year high school class reunion last year. I had a good time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 7:58 pm

I went to the five-year reunion, just to show them how wrong they all were about me. Either the men were trying to pick a fight with me or the women were trying to hit me up for money. I haven't been back since. The 45th is coming up soon ... maybe I'll send flowers ... maybe not ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm

Yes, because I have none but maybe 2 positive memories from that time. Crappiest period of life, ever. The only person I'd care to see (for maybe 10 minutes) is apparently "missing in action."

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2018, 8:26 pm

High school for me had its ups and downs. I was bullied a lot but I did have a girl friend thru most of it.

I did go to a couple reunions early on but then I got so I couldn't deal with that many people at once. So no thanks. My 50th will come up soon. I'm sure they will have a good time.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 8:31 pm

Yes. :lol:

Partially because I'm not interested -- success or failed past and present. Dramas involved or not.
Partially because I'd likely not remember them. Even if most of them would remember me, still not interested.

And most partially because most at the time, it just doesn't happen -- it's too bothersome and too expensive to pull off.
I didn't assume so -- I've been in several chat groups that involves the planning; most of them wouldn't come. And a few did failed if not dropped the whole thing.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 3:45 am

why would I wanna visit with a bunch of self-important aholes?

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 5:47 am

I have never gone to a single class reunion yet and I don't plan on to ever. I had many nicknames growing up and "Rain Man" and "computer" were two of the many I received and I honestly don't feel any attachment to other humans, Autistic or NT. As my Asperger's Syndrome indicates, I have more attachment to objects and routines than I do people so I don't feel I really missed out on anything by not going to class reunions.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 7:28 am

In high school I did fairly well academically

And now I have only worked minimum wage jobs

Ashamed of failure

Furthermore I am a crossdresser

Bullying

It's just easier not to go

Did not have any or many friends in high school

So whatever

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2018, 7:47 am

Nope. Been there already, don't need to go back.

The kids were savage to me and the teachers had sky-high expectations for how far I was going in life, thinking that intelligence and academic ability would translate to instant success.

The kids who were so cruel would be delighted to see how low I am now and the teachers would be bitterly disappointed in my wasted potential.

Why don't I just make a flail out of razor wire and beat myself with it instead? It'll be just as much fun.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:13 am

I never attended my 10 or 20 year class reunions due to the fact, I was never even notified whatsoever of such;therefore, I seemingly just did not give a &*%^ . In fact, I simply wish not to acknowledge that part of my timeline unless it's a remembrance of someone whom really was a true human in those days that was sadly lost to me due to not being able to find where they went to..