How can I show my boyfriend that being autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 11:02 pm

How can I show my boyfriend that being autistic is nothing to be ashamed of?

My boyfriend has Asperger's. He's very ashamed of it too. He lives in the deep South of the United States in a town where difference are not accepted. He is also bullied in school and the teachers do Jack about it and at least two teachers are bullies themselves. He is very religious and says that the fact he is autistic almost turned him athiest. How can I convince him it's nothing to be ashamed of? I think getting out of that town would help a lot but how can I convince him in the meantime?

OrdinaryCitizen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2018, 1:24 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
think getting out of that town would help a lot but how can I convince him in the meantime?

Give him a treat.

Lil_miss_lois

08 Nov 2018, 2:46 am

Just tell him when he does something you like or judt in conversation mention something you like about him.

A lot about autism is to do with what's worse about us than neurotypicals, what we're bad at, our problems.

Sometimes we need reminding that we have good point.

I nearly cried when my doc said " you excel at that because you're DESIGNED for it" because it felt so uplifting that my brain is wired to be better at something.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Nov 2018, 5:06 am

Like your boyfriend, I'm from a small town in the deep south & was bullied alot in elementary skewl. Lots of people around me were Catholic but I decided that I didn't agree with Catholicism for lots of reasons & am a Secular Humanist. I think it would help him if you try & reassure him that your not bothered by certain aspects of Aspergers that he's worried about or not as bothered by them as he thinks you are. It may also help to tell him what you like about him that is & is not related to autism.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 7:13 am

I think priority number one will be to get out of that town and fast because it sounds like a very unaccepting place for the mentally disabled. Next I would try to get him the support that he needs and to get some sort of disabled paycheck if that's possible down in America in whatever town you choose to live in.

But most importantly tell him that having Asperger's Syndrome is something that could give him a great advantage over neurotypicals specifically in science, mathematics or computer science and to build on those innate advantages that he has. Your support will be critical and he'll need to hear a great deal of positive reinforcement from you which will be fundamental to the rebuilding of his self esteem.

Perhaps recommending these Wrong Planet forums would also be a great step as well?

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)