Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 10:06 pm

Watches and wall clocks with roman numerals or no symbols on at all annoy me. Mainly because it causes a delay if I'm trying to figure out what time it is.

In that case, why don't you just imagine that the numbers are where they usually are? Well, I do, but it does make the process slower. If the handles are on a full hour (3 'o clock, 2 o' clock etc) it isn't so bad, but if they're not and are also in roman numerals or any other shape that isn't the usual 12, 1, 2, 3 and so on then I seem to come to a halt. Brain can't process. This is probably due to the fact that my visual processing ability is abysmal.

I had to keep time recently, and my sister told me to get my phone.

"Ah, you'll have to get your phone, the only clock in here is in roman numerals and I know that you can't understand that type".

So I did. The only type of watch where the numbers aren't where they usually are that I like is this one below...

:lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Dec 2018, 10:17 pm

I have a hard time with non digital clocks. I'm sure I would have an even harder time with roman numerals or no digits there. I think my problem is cuz I have a visual processing disorder & am dyslexic. It takes me a few seconds to figure out which hand is the minute hand & which hand is the hour hand. Then i have to count to see where the minute hand is.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 10:42 am

Understandable, but I would think it takes some getting used to / practice for most people.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:51 pm

I agree. The watch should do all of the work for you. You shouldn't have to figure crap out. Doesn't have to be a digital (as a opposed to analog) watch with LED numbers. It can have an old fashioned dial, but dial hands hafta point to actual Arabic numeral numbers. Not to those marks you have to count yourself. Roman numerals are ok for big wall clocks, but not for wrist watches.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 6:52 am

Some people are masochists and have clocks like this

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 4:51 am

^It's about 18 minutes to 4. :wink:

My watch has 3,6,9 and 12 and dashes in between.

My flatmate (who's also autistic) has a really hard time with telling the time on an analogue watch or clock. She prefers digital.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 7:56 pm

I have seen this in lists for signs of autism and for signs of dyscalculia, actually, but I believe it is most prevalent in dyscalculia.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 9:46 pm

Yes and I agree with you.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

Non digital clocks confuse me. The Land Of Confusion.