Are all people with autism picky about food

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 3:45 pm

I used to order plain hamburgers from McDonalds. I learned to order regular ones and remove the stuff I didn't like as it was a hassle for them to do a special order and I had to wait longer.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 6:27 pm

BTDT wrote:
I used to order plain hamburgers from McDonalds. I learned to order regular ones and remove the stuff I didn't like as it was a hassle for them to do a special order and I had to wait longer.

It's a pretty minor hassle and shouldn't take any longer, speaking from experience.

They don't make regular ones in advance; the order appears on the screen in the kitchen and they start making it. A plain hamburger is the most straightforward order that can appear, it's literally put the bun down, put meat on it and wrap it. If anything, it should arrive in the bin at the end of the assembly area a few seconds sooner than a regular hamburger.

Usually the only thing that would make an order take longer is a special request for no-salt on the meat, but even that should only add about a minute.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2023, 6:35 pm

I don't know if it is an autism thing, but I have a thing where I like my food extremely salty or spicy or sweet. I cannot eat bland food, boiled unseasoned peas make me puke.

I just can't handle bitter tastes, eating celery or black coffee hurts me.

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Nov 2023, 6:55 pm

This probably qualifies, but I've been vegan for 20 years, so I guess I'm picky about what I eat.

I am not picky about flavors, though there are some textures I can't stand, such as anything with seeds. I really hate watermelon, for example.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 8:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
BTDT wrote:

It's a pretty minor hassle and shouldn't take any longer, speaking from experience.

They don't make regular ones in advance; the order appears on the screen in the kitchen and they start making it. A plain hamburger is the most straightforward order that can appear, it's literally put the bun down, put meat on it and wrap it. If anything, it should arrive in the bin at the end of the assembly area a few seconds sooner than a regular hamburger.

Usually the only thing that would make an order take longer is a special request for no-salt on the meat, but even that should only add about a minute.

Yes, that is how they do it now but it was different in the 1970s and 1980s.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2023, 9:01 pm

I am not picky at all. Of thousand types of food, there are maybe 4 or 5 things I don't like. For the rest I eat everything.

I like eating foreign cuisine. In Germany I like to eat Kartoffelsalat or Schweinebraten, in Austria Kaiserschmarren, in Czechia trdelník or věneček, in Russia борщ, in Belarus дранікі, in South Africa droë wors, pap, sous en boerewors, melktert, umqokolo, in Japan several things like 抹茶. I am always interested in the strangest things. Very little chance that I appear not to like it!

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 9:04 pm

I was a little picky as a kid, but I think it was probably more in line with neurotypical children. My sister, though, probably had straight-up ARFID (an eating disorder common in autism that causes extreme pickiness due to sensory issues)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 9:49 pm

I've been called a picky eater all my life... I've gotten a bit better at eating some things (pumpkin which I am starting to appreciate, zucchini which I will only tolerate in a dish if it's invisible) but others will forever be on the black list - looking right at you eggplant! It's definitely a sensory thing for me.

for a year or two when she was a toddler my daughter would only eat rice, Kalamata olives, cucumber, ham and fried egg for dinner. She's also gotten more adventurous as she's grown up.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 4:00 pm

I am not picky at all.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 4:04 pm

I don't think you'll ever find that ALL autistics are ever anything. Some are for various reasons, and some are not. Just like Neurotypical folks.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 4:42 pm

BTDT wrote:

I do the same thing. Although it used to be a special order in my local McDonald's, now they have it as a preset menu option, and it doesn't come with the little red sticker for special order anymore, either.

It doesn't take any longer like it used to, either.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 6:53 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Patrick22348 wrote:
Of all the foods I've eaten, Chinese/Shanghai and Singaporean/Malaysian food were the only ones that I felt was garbage.

Uncle Roger does not approve.

:lol:

I like Chinese food too.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 6:54 pm

For me it's about texture as well as taste. I hate smushy flavorless food like casseroles, overcooked green beans, or a lot of soups. I need it to be crunchy or at least have some texture variety. Otherwise it feels like I'm eating someone else's barf.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 7:11 pm

Suicidal_Vampire wrote:
Does separating food count as picky? I happen to be a "picky" eater, but I wondered if this in particular counts, since people always consider this a strange food habit and can even be bothered by it.

For most of my childhood I wouldn't eat the food if two colours touched each other, but it wasn't just with food.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 7:15 pm

I'll eat almost anything but I'm very particular about how each thing is cooked or served.

Exclusions that make we wanna hurl (or actually hurl), under all circumstances -

Chicken
Chocolate
Dark Chocolate
Peaches
Strawberries
Wet meat
Pea soup
Basil and Oregano

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 7:51 pm

I have always been a picky eater. Part of it has to do to my food allergies (egg, alcohol, rice). My father was highly allergic to seafood, so I try not to tempt the hand of fate (except for the occasional deep fried shrimp). I do not like to mix my foods together if I can avoid them, as I want to have consistency in what I am eating. My salads are very plain (lettuce, dressing), much like my sandwiches (bread, meat, cheese).

One thing that I often cannot get enough of is fresh cracked black pepper. I love it in my foods. As a kid, I used to eat it right out of the shaker (taking the top off first) at home. I have been known to put it on both watermelon and vanilla ice cream. My friends have gotten used to my addiction to this spice. I let them use it first, as there might not be enough left over for them when I am done.