Are all people with autism picky about food

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 1:20 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Just the smell of it makes me nauseated. ^

Sometimes I can have a migraine for 3 or 4 days just smelling a chocolate chip cookie.

Hershey's chocolate smells like :eew:

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 1:35 am

My icks include most vegetables, some fruits, and squash.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

JamesW
Raven
Raven

13 Nov 2023, 8:58 am

I didn't think I was. But I hate baked beans. Until my diagnosis I thought it was just a PTSD-type thing from having been habitually fed them as a child (because they're cheap, filling, and kids like them).

Turns out it's a texture thing. I identified with Gareth from 'The Office' and his issues with jelly - 'I don't trust the way it moves'. A lot of autistic people probably didn't find that sketch funny - I actually ended up finding it reassuring.

There is a God.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2023, 4:52 am

Not ALL autistic people are picky about food, but many of us are. (There is no specific trait that we ALL have in common, just general categories of traits.)

There are a lot of common foods I strongly dislike. Bananas. Strawberries. Mayonnaise. Anything containing noticeable amounts of vinegar (but ketchup is okay).

I strongly dislike most salad dressings, and prefer to use plain lemon juice or grapefruit juice on salad instead.

Most sweets are too sweet for me, although there are a few sweet things I do like.

I also dislike baked beans and lima beans, especially the latter, due to their texture.

I can't stand carbonated beverages, or anything that fizzes in my mouth and throat. Fizz makes me gag.

I can't stand alcoholic beverages either. So my food aversions have saved me from some potential bad habits.

TheRealSocialOutcast
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2023, 7:35 pm

I am known for my wierd eating habits among friends and family

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2023, 11:02 pm

I'm not picky. I am utilitarian towards food. I eat a limited diet simply because I have no interest in cooking/food prep, so I eat easy to prepare, inexpensive food that doesn't taste bad. I can be in and out of the grocery store quickly (always a plus) because I get the same items each time. I take daily vitamin supplements to make sure those bases are covered.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NFLE, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2023, 11:39 pm

I could live off of pizza without ever getting bored of it, but that's not the same as being picky.

FlaminPika
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2023, 7:46 am

Myself and my sister are both autistic. She's VERY picky, and I'm the opposite. I have a texture issue with some foods, but for the most part I'll eat any sort of conventional meal even if it's a little bland. My parents are far pickier than I am and they are both NTs, which leaves me being the only one in my immediate family who's happy to eat almost anything.

How do you guys / girls feel about veggies? Veggies are super bland, and I'd imagine many people who are picky may not like them because of that? I'd like to pick into the picky person's mind... hahaha...

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 11:59 am

I am not picky about food. Food doesn't have to taste good, I'll eat pretty anything as long as it's healthy to eat.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2024, 10:12 pm

I am extremely picky. I'm very sensitive to texture, smell, and sight. I have a very sensitive gag reflex to all of that. That gag reflex can be triggered by a food I normally like being prepared even slightly off from how I normally consume it.

This is not fun. Up until now I thought it was just a quirk of mine, but now that I'm exploring likely being autistic it may be a sensory issue. Interesting.

ImagineDragons
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2024, 2:30 am

Harmonie wrote:
I am extremely picky. I'm very sensitive to texture, smell, and sight. I have a very sensitive gag reflex to all of that. That gag reflex can be triggered by a food I normally like being prepared even slightly off from how I normally consume it.

This is not fun. Up until now I thought it was just a quirk of mine, but now that I'm exploring likely being autistic it may be a sensory issue. Interesting.

Wow I had to check that I hadn’t posted this !

It’s so me

ImagineDragons
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2024, 2:36 am

There was a sports presenter on the radio last night and he explained that he has an anxiety disorder where he has to be in control of what he consumes ..

Anyways for decades he’s only eaten cereals or bread / pasta . NEVER any fruit or vegetables or meat / fish ! !! !

He did add that he had a strict regime of vitamins and minerals/suppliments that basically kept him alive ! !

He sounded such an intelligent, grounded guy and yet his diet seems completely crazy

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 10:28 am

I don't like mushrooms, cream sauces, cottage cheese, processed cheese, beans of any kind, berries any kind of cheese except orange cheddar and mozzarella.

vergil96

25 Jan 2024, 12:51 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Sillylilgoober wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
It is not a stereotype. It is a common symptom of autistic spectrum disorder.

oooooooh

"Eating problems are common in autistic people.

Issues such as only eating very few foods, not being able to eat at school, going long periods of time without eating and pica (eating non-foods) can feel difficult to understand and manage. "

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/eating

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/eating/all-audiences

Wow, I'm not alone. Thank you for sharing that. I started to feel like some strange specimen, reading people on the internet talk about autism. I have mostly sensory issues as symptoms, not social issues, and I don't really feel like it's well understood in online autistic communities. Someone even thought that my need for routine means I have intellectual disability and a low IQ, because I don't "understand" according to them, which is very obviously not true. It has little to do with intellectual understanding, it has to do with sensory issues, poor interoception, hyperfocus etc.

As for food, I stick to a limited number of foods that don't give me issues. Apart from gluten intolerance, I stick to a rather non-controversial and traditional diet. My other issues include IBS and allergies, hypoglycemia, frequent nausea. ("Bad" food can result in vomiting and diharrea)

"How do you guys / girls feel about veggies?"
I like many of them, but hate others and they have to be boiled, not raw. Raw = bloated stomach and nausea, because they feel tickly in the throat.

PassingThrough
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm

I'm not a picky eater in terms of tolerance. Not many typical foods would nauseate me. But I do have fairly strong preferences and usually find only one or two appealing dishes on a restaurant menu. But overall I can eat a wide variety of food.

My son is quite picky. For him, it's more a matter of tolerance than preference. He has recently expanded his palate a little to better fit in with his friends (most of them have ASD, but apparently aren't quite as picky as he is), but I think he'll always be picky. He doesn't have any issues about food types touching each other or eating in a certain order.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 10:05 pm

Stereotype - not ALL people on the spectrum are picky about food. I'm not - I'll try just about anything.

SOME people on the spectrum are very picky restrictive eaters and will only eat like 3 different usually unhealthy convenience BS food-like products; but they seem to be a small minority of people on the spectrum.