Discussing Suicide Prevention in the Autism Community

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2024, 8:37 am

Hello everyone,

I wanted to open up a discussion about an important topic: suicide prevention in the autism community. It's a complex issue that warrants thoughtful discussion and proactive strategies.

Individuals on the autism spectrum often face unique challenges that can contribute to feelings of isolation, anxiety, and depression. Let's explore this issue together and share practical insights, coping mechanisms, and valuable resources that can support individuals in need.

Prioritizing mental health is essential, and by having these conversations, we can contribute to a supportive and understanding community.

Looking forward to your contributions

AspieDad77
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2024, 10:09 pm

Hi. Thank you for posting this, I would also like to be a part of the discussion. I have a teenage son who was diagnosed with HF Autism when he was young (8 yrs) and has been struggling with suicidal ideation for several years. I am seeking advice for methods or approaches he could take to relieve some of the intense pain that he feels on a daily basis.

Expect I will contribute more soon but I am new here and noticed the thread and was compelled to engage. Thank you again for opening the topic with this community.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 3:54 pm

struggled with depression all my childhood and youth and most of my adult life. I am in recovery now with only mild symptoms. Family members have committed suicide in every generation as far back as I can trace (early 1800s) in the same family line as autism. Women under age 30 and men over 50. every single generation. So for us it is inherited. Last year I lost a 50 year old cousin. autism and suicide/depression are closely tied with more suicides in the autistic population than the population in general, something like 7 to 8 times more likely if we are autistic. statistics vary with the studies which have been done. Knowing and understanding that I am autistic helped me understand the pain and frustration of my long time social struggles, being bullied and abused, and many of life's painful "whys". It has not changed my struggles or my neurology, but knowing about my own autism and learning to be self assertive, learning better ways to self accommodate, learning healthy communication, and how to make healthier choices all helped save me. I can forgive myself and others now I understand how autism has worked behind the scenes all my life and I can see and understand the "why" of so many things that hurt from the past and even now. That has been such a relief. Everything was not, after all, "all my fault" but problems with my specific neurology and sensory processing due to the autism I never knew I had. Getting my autism diagnosis at age 68 was one of the most helpful and healing events of my life.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Questionings
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2024, 1:11 am

Sometimes it is, almost, rational, in some circumstances, although one needs some courage...

@AspieDad77 are there any apparent causes? Home environment made me like that, so... as long as you try not to make it a hell... if it's clinical depression, though, drugs might be needed, and I'm not sure what prescribed could help, but entactogens helped me, temporarily, at least (still function differently for everyone...)

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 7:51 am

A combination of therapy and meditation may work better than either alone for the SIs (suicidal ideations). I agree that for autism environmental changes as well as a therapist who really understands and has experience with autism is important. Hybrid approach matters.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 4:39 pm

What I do is listen to meditations and positive affirmations.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:55 pm

How can anyone not be suicidal in this day and age?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:58 pm

I'd never share suicidal feelings with anyone who might reasonably interfere.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 8:32 am

https://blog.opencounseling.com/suicide-hotlines/

International Suicide Hotlines
If you or someone you know is suicidal, call one of the numbers below. If someone is in IMMEDIATE danger, please call your local emergency number (e.g. 911 in the US).

[ Follow the above link for other countries ]

Related:

What to Do When You’re Thinking About Suicide

https://blog.opencounseling.com/what-to ... t-suicide/

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 9:01 am

I have been reading studies that seem to indicate that folks on the Autism spectrum have a much higher rate of suicide, and thinking about suicide than the general public.

I started another thread with more details and statistics, studies and so on, but I am hoping this thread will be more about personal stories and discussion.

It is an uncomfortable topic.

I heasitate to tell my story but here it is:

My family history includes suicide. In recent months I went through a period where my thinking about suicide became too close to what my therapist called a “plan”. She recommended that I immediately check myself into a in-patient program. I discussed this with my wife and decided to do an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that focused on DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy). I also discussed my meditation with my provider (a Nurse Practitioner who works for a MD) and increased my SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) which I was already taking for anxiety but is also used to treat depression. Both helped. I actually did the IOP twice (or one and a half times) because my schedule changed when I took a job (I was out of work when it began) so I had to drop out, I sighed up with a different counselor at the same organization but meeting at a different time of day. The first counselor, as it turned out was a better fit than the second. My take away - DBT can help but the group leader does matter.

My uncle committed suicide a few years ago.

My wife’s father had a brother who also died of suicide several years ago before we met (i think before my wife’s parents met each other).

I also had an acquaintance/friend in college who died by suicide when I was in school.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2024, 6:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Same

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2024, 5:09 am

I had discussed DEPRESSION a few years ago, during the days when were in lockdown and had even talked about Suicide in this video content.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 12:59 pm

I have been regularly suicidal since I was ten years old. That is actually pretty old to start feeling those feelings for Autistic people. The suicide rate of lower support needs Autistic people is at least 35%. I believe, from my research, that we are the demographic with the most number of suicides.

I think that we need to start putting a lot more emphasis on society and its lack of respect and accommodations towards people who are different than just expecting the marginalized communities to change our authentic existences in order to be able to survive an abusive society. It has to be a two way street. I know the things that make me suicidal and no therapy or medication is going to change that. I get suicidal because of the societal abuse that I have to deal with on a daily basis. Just having basic respect and validation would go a long way in how I feel.

Wreck It Ralph

Suicidal_Vampire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2024, 3:31 pm

T.W: I talk about trying to die on purpose.

I've tried to kill myself multiple times in about two different ways.
Hanging: times (a couple). Why it didn't work: (chickened out and saved myself after choking for a while).
Electrocution: times, > than 7, after a while I stopped counting and it just became self-harm. Why it didn't work: idk, but I'm pretty sure I've got brain damage now.
I also occasionally attempt to smother myself in my pillow and restrict my breathing but as that probably can't kill me, I believe it's categorized more under self-harm.
I am consistently suicidal and think about hurting/killing myself almost every day.
Almost nobody who has tried to tell me not to kill myself has been effective (and that has been very few people).
If I had a more efficient and less painful way to kill myself than hanging, ex. sleeping pills, gun.
I'd slit my wrists, but I've got hemophobia and if I decided to get medical attention or was caught, I'd instantly be clocked as suicidal and institutionalized.
I don't think being in a mental institution would help me for various reasons, but I am a danger to myself a regular basis.

Advice?

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

Last edited by Cornflake on 17 May 2024, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Added spoiler tags

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:15 am

^ There is hope. There are alternatives to suicide.

Sometimes you have to patch the cracks in the dam

Sometimes you have to work on lowering the water behind the dam

Some links to reach out for help or for self-help.

https://988lifeline.org/help-yourself/

https://988lifeline.org/faq/

https://chiaribridges.org/suicide-preve ... -by-state/

https://www.nih.gov/health-information/ ... ss-toolkit

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

Yesterday, 8:20 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Same
Also same.

Attempted suicide description -

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.